Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    elise flakoll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2006, 05:25 AM
    Breaking a Lease due to a murder in building and purchasing new home
    Hello,

I am new to this site. I live in the state of NC. We were debating on moving out of our apartment and making an offer on our house. On Sunday we had a murder in our apartment in broad daylight about 300 yds from our apt. There was a suicide about 2 months ago. After the murder we made an offer on a house and they accepted.

I have heard two things. One is that you can get out of your lease in NC if you purchase real estate. The second is that if there is a crime like this you can get out due to hardship.
    Do you know anything about this?

Thanks, Elise
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2006, 05:57 AM
    Hello elsie:

You heard wrong.

A lease is a contract, and a contract is a contract. You're stuck with it.

You're a lot closer with your second proposition. But just because crime happens near your apartment building, doesn't mean a thing. IF the building, however, is lacking SECURITY, and management isn't doing anything about it, then you MIGHT have grounds to break your lease.

Nothing is automatic. If you break your lease, you'll get sued. Document the security issues with pictures and police reports. Tell the judge what you were concerned about. He'll agree with you - or he won't.

excon
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2006, 05:59 AM
    EXCON IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY, A lease is a contract, you break it you pay.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Dec 19, 2006, 08:51 AM
    The "get out of lease because of home purchase" has been around for a long time and has no basis in fact UNLESS you have this in writing in your lease.

The murder, while very unfortunate, is not a reason for you to break your lease. You should be organizing for a home purchase to close a few weeks before your current lease is up.
    mjinms Posts: 39, Reputation: 0

Dec 23, 2006, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by elise flakoll
    Hello,

I am new to this site. I live in the state of NC. We were debating on moving out of our apartment and making an offer on our house. On Sunday we had a murder in our apartment in broad daylight about 300 yds from our apt. There was a suicide about 2 months ago. After the murder we made an offer on a house and they accepted.

I have heard two things. One is that you can get out of your lease in NC if you purchase real estate. The second is that if their is a crime like this you can get out due to hardship.
    Do you know anything about this?

Thanks, Elise
    hardship means a grievance. This is due to a husband or wife that is a support factor in wages brought into the family fianancial matters. You case has nothing to do with what you saw. If your wife or husband dies there is a possibility of hardship but it souds like you are trying to get out of paying some money. Ask owner=landlord if you find a tenant for the apartment with some of your own advertising expenses would they consider not charging you for the remainder of the lease. Also consider paying for the application fee and background check on the person you find to lease the apartment. Most contract fees and background checks are around 50 dollars. If they agree-owner-landlord, draw up a contract(you do it) and have the landlord sign it so you don't forget what your duties are. Tell landlord you are absent minded unless you have it wrote down.
    Miss V Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2006, 04:31 PM
    You will be responsible for paying the lease until your contract ends. If you leave prior to, you are responsible until the landlord, or you, find another person to lease. Check your lease. It may or may not allow you to sublet to someone else.

Your Realtor, if you used one, should have advised you. Other answers may be found at:
    http://www.ncrec.state.nc.us/publica...s/Renting.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking a lease due to medical reasons [ 4 Answers ]

I am asking this for a friend, she has a special needs daughter (diabetic, bipolar, mildly mentally disabled, and has a lot of psychological problems from sexual and physical abuse from the time she was born until she was 2 and my friend got custody) When they moved into their apartment, she was...

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Breaking a lease in NJ due to job required move [ 15 Answers ]

I started a lease in Hackensack, NJ in May 2006. My job then required me to move to MD in August 2006. The lease had no cancellation clause and I am required to continue paying rent until the apartment is re-rented (a re-rental fee was required) or until my lease runs out. Is there a provision...

Information about breach of lease agreement and about breaking a lease... [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have been residing in the state of Georgia for almost a year. I moved from New York, I had never rented in New York so this is all new to me. Here's the issue, Me and my husband signed a lease on July to this apartment complex, at the time we thought it would be a lovely place to raise a...

Renter in a Lease - Wanting to Purchasing A Home [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone tell me please, I am currently in a lease for the past 19-months and have 5-more left to go on a 2-year Rental Lease. With the housing market prices falling, I decided that I want to purchase a house. Is there anywhere in Maryland Law that indicates that if a Renter wants to purchase a...

View more questions Search