Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nursemary Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2010, 04:24 PM
    Why is my car a/c not very cold?
    I have a 2006 impala in the mornings when the sun is not out the a/c in my car blows really cold air, but in the afternoons when it is hot the a/c will blow cool air but not cold air like it use to. I check the fluids and all the levels were elevated I just do not know why. I thought I may be just cause it was hot but my husbands car blows cold air.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 1, 2010, 04:28 PM

When is the last time you had the system recharged? Have you had your ac serviced lately?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2010, 05:15 PM

The system is likely low on freon, however, this link should give you perspective on the problem and help you select someone qualified to work on it, without damaging the system:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...ml#post1864159

Freon (R-134a) capacities are pretty small on modern-day cars. A certain amount is naturally lost through hoses and connections each year. You likely want someone who will test the system with a manifold first and check for leaks. If the readings are low, and there are no obvious leaks, it's usually best to completely evacuate the system and then refill it with the correct amount of freon. I recommend that you take it to your Chevy dealer for servicing.

Aug 2, 2010, 04:56 PM

Thank you for your advice I had to have freon put into my car because the levels were just a little low but now it runs great and the air is really cold thanks for your help.
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2010, 05:04 PM

Thank you for the update.

Aug 5, 2010, 08:33 AM
    Why is my AC making a clicking noise and the light flash on and off
    My ac is making a clicking noise only when it is on... when I turn it off no noise at all we just had it charged and yesterday on my way home I had the ac on and the light started flashing on and off and the car turned the ac on, when I tired to turn it back on it kept doing the same thing. Any one have any ideas on what this could be I heard it could be the compressor or the air pump in my car. I have an appt to see a mechanic tomorrow but I am open for any suggestions.

Aug 5, 2010, 08:35 AM

Today the car started clicking noise and the ac light kept flashing on and off and finally went off and won't come back on so I am going to take it a mechanic in the morning
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 09:47 AM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-t...le-303903.html
    It is possible that after servicing your system a slow leak remained.
    Let them look at it and get back to us if you're suspicious.

Aug 6, 2010, 07:51 PM

I had the car looked at today and they said that the freon levels were fine and serviced the car. They said a fuse was blown, when I asked about the clicking noise they said that it was the a/c compressor making the noise... so does that mean it has to be replaced right away or can it wait just a little longer because they say it is about 700-900 to fix
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 06:14 AM

You should be able to drive it for some time, unless the noise is a sign that something is fundamentally wrong. Compressors normally last 100,000 miles. "Wobble plate" compressors are somewhat noisy anyhow. Be sure you choose a ASE qualified and reputable outfit to work on your air conditioning system. Otherwise, be prepared to open your wallet wide and still be dissatisfied with your air conditioner.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 7, 2010, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGreaseMonkey View Post
    Be sure you choose a ASME qualified and reputable outfit to work on your air conditioning system. Otherwise, be prepared to open your wallet wide and still be dissatisfied with your air conditioner.
    Did you mean ASE and not ASME?
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 06:45 AM

Yes.

Aug 7, 2010, 09:57 AM

The guy told me today when I picked it up that I should be able to drive it he said it could be a long time before it quits working he said the noise is not a big deal and when they looked over my a/c the fuse was the only thing they found wrong with it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car heater blowing cold air [ 4 Answers ]

1996 Ford Explorer blowing cold air replaced therosate and full of 100% antifreeze

Car warms up and dies, has no problem when cold [ 23 Answers ]

93 honda civic, will start with no problem. When it warms up, not over heat, it will die and not restart until it is cold again. Will crank but not turn over. Replaced the ignition control module, now it will not start at all.

When cold my car starts but stalls after a few minutes [ 3 Answers ]

When cold overnight my 92 Merc. 300SL starts but after driving for a few minutes it stalls. It then will restart and run fine for the rest of the day. I have had new fuel pumps installed, a recent tune up and many parts replaced e.g. Overload sensor, wiring harness, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks......

Car shutting off in cold and hot weather [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2000 honda accord EX coupe which has been just shutting off on me in the middle of driving. It has happened in hot weather and cold weather so I don't think that it is the relay system. I wait a few minutes and it will crank back up but today it did not. I had to leave it stranded but will...

My car having can't start when engine cold [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a VW golf 0ne Chicco 2000 is a fuel injector engine. I have been using lead replacement fuel for a while and wonder if that might have an effect having problem when cold start. When the engine is cold it does not idle at all till it is warm. When I some time I approach the stop...

View more questions Search