Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pepsi_susie Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 10:41 AM
    Why does my 14 year old dog take a long time to get up the stairs?
    Why does my 14 year old dog have trouble getting up the stairs?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2010, 10:43 AM

Probably because he has arthritis.

What does the Vet say? There are many products available for arthritis in dogs.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2010, 12:30 PM

And of course 14 is like old age for dogs, so he would most likely be slower ( like your grandparents) when was the last time he had a complete check up at the vet ?
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Aug 2, 2010, 06:15 AM

My 12 year olg GSD has arthritis and hip dysplaysia. Stairs and uncarpeted floors are tough for him these days. I just had a runner installed on the stairs so he get up them . It takes him a longer but he can still get up. Going down is easier. My vet gave me some pills for the arthitis but he still is slower than his youth.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2010, 06:18 AM

- and I had a wheelchair ramp put in so my dog can get off the deck and onto the lawn.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why a concrete driveway it take long time to get uniforme color in winter time? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I just have a driveway done, and it has different color thy pour the concrete in winter and cover with blanquets, and I will like to know if the color going to be all the same?

My dog doesn't want to walk up the stairs [ 3 Answers ]

. 2 days ago my 8 year old yellow lab mix became hesitant to walk up stairs. We had finished a walk earlier in the morning, and Chad had no noticeable problem. My house has a deck with stairs (about 8) from one deck to the other. Chad kept putting one foot on the stair, then removing it. ...

Rad up stairs are hot down stairs are cold [ 3 Answers ]

I have a standard boiler 3way valve and pumped system. Up stairs 4 rads all working fine, down stairs I have three cold rads. Pump sounds like its working

My dog sometimes gets scared of walking down the stairs [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone, It's weird. During the last 2 months, I've noticed that my 98 pounds golden lab of 6 years has started having trouble coming down the basement. In fact, the oddity is not just restricted to the basement; sometimes when he runs upstairs to where we sleep, he has a hard time coming...

View more questions Search