Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    markbw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 07:48 AM
    Two cats one is using my couch for a cat box the other problem one is deaf
    Two cats one of them is using my couch for a cat box which one and the other issue is that one is also deaf.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 1, 2010, 08:45 AM

You may need to get a separate cat box for each cat.

When you catch the cat going on the couch, pick them up and put them in the cat box. Clean the couch and use vinegar to get rid of the smell. It'll take awhile, but it's just something you have to work at.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2010, 06:27 AM

Try Nature's Miracle to clean the couch. If there's any smell (and remember they'll smell what you don't), they could keep using it.

Are you providing a box? Cats will naturally tend towards the litter box, so there has to be a reason they used the couch to begin with, and you want to be knowing what that reason was. If you've provided no box, then the answer is duh. If the box is there, keep it clean, every day. One for each cat is a good idea. Is it easily accessible? Do they hate the litter?

If it's not a question of the box, then it's something else behavioral, or a medical problem. Behavioral can mean marking territory. (That does not have to mean a male spraying. Females can do this as well.) One might do this if they don't like the other one in that location or something. A medical problem would have to be checked by a vet.

As for a deaf cat, it's not like you can do anything about it. White cats tend towards deafness. Just be careful to keep that one out of harm's way. It can't hear things coming, etc.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 3, 2010, 08:24 AM

A deaf cat will also be more likely to attack if startled. That means, making sure it can SEE you before trying to pet it and trying not to come up on it from behind.

It also means that yelling 'no' will not work as discipline. A squirt bottle will be your best option.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2010, 08:27 AM

This is sort of the same, I have a deaf ferret, and trying to litter train him was near impossible. I couldn't say no when he pooped on the carpet. I used a squirt bottle first, but then realized he LOVED to be sprayed, I hear some cats do to. When your cat pee's/poops on the couch walk up in front of it, and put your finger in it's face (Like saying no) and then pick it up and place it in it's litter. My ferret learned very quickly if I placed my finger in it's face it was in trouble, and lays there and pouts (it's kind of cute).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat is peeing on my couch [ 8 Answers ]

My cat is about a year and a half old. She has started peeing on my couch, she uses her litterbox but she pees on my couch about once a week or so. I have heard that putting vinegar on the area will make them stop but it doesn't seem to be working. I am all out of answers and am hoping someone can...

Took in a stray abused cat from outdoors; but cat get it to go in the litter box! [ 9 Answers ]

Please help! My roommate and I have recently took in a stray beaten up cat. When she took her to the vet she ended up dropping loads of money on this cat to help her. She has a giant wound, and has a respitory infection, she was very mal nutritioned- she's skin and bones.. the whole nine yards....

Bought a used couch, they had a cat, we removed all cat hair, but I am getting bites [ 2 Answers ]

Couch is pretty new in excellent condition. We bought on craigs list. They had a cat. After purchased, we bought the "scotch fur fighter" which removed all unseen cat hair. Just recently, I am getting bites on my body. We have no pets in the house and have never had a problem before. Is it...

Cat spray on couch [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get rid of the oder from cat spray on my couch?

4 cats litter box problem [ 1 Answers ]

We have four adult cats. Cleaning out the litter boxes is a full time job. We clean them out three to four times a day. We have one in a bathroom and two out in the garage, but everyone prefers the one in the bathroom. Do you have any suggestions on how to get them to use the ones in the garage...

View more questions Search