Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sjc95112 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 12:11 AM
    Clicking noise in the pipe after I flushed my toilet bowl
    There is clicking noise in the pipe after I flushed my toilet bowl. The clicking sounds like a creaking door. It is rapid at first and then it slows down to a stop. Seems to be coming from within the walls, but can't pinpoint where. This is happening even in summer. I just hope it isn't like the pipe is about to burst.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 1, 2010, 07:04 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about a pipe bursting. It won't happen.'
    The noise isn't coming from the inside of the tank is it? Is it coming from the inside of the bowl?
    If you're sure it comes from the pipes in the wall then perhaps it's caused by contraction and expansion.
    Knocking, popping, creaking and crackling pipes are a common complaint, especially in colder weather. I can tell you what's happening and take the mystery out of it but you're not going to like the repair. When a draw is made on a hot water line the line expands against a pipe strap next to a stud and when you drain hot water from your tub or shower it goes into a chase that is a little cooler then room temperature. The heat expands the pipe causing it to rub against the stud to which it is pipe strapped. This is the sound you hear. As it cools it contracts and the noise is heard again. To repair it you must tear open the walls and locate the pipe strap that's causing the problem and shim it tight. Most people when they learn what causes it just elect to live with it. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet makes singing noise when flushed [ 1 Answers ]

Help my toilet makes an annoying "singing" sound when it is flushing even when you flush with the water supply turned off

Lound hammering noise when toilet is flushed [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Since a couple of days back, we have heard some noise when we flush the toilet in our powder room. The noise is like a machine gun or a very fast hammer and seems to come from the shutoff valve below the toilet tank. This happens when we flush the toilet and stops if the shut off valve is...

Toilet makes screeching noise while being flushed [ 1 Answers ]

I just moved into a new apartment and the bathroom is brand new. I noticed a screeching noise(like fingernails on a blackboard, ouch!) that last for about 30 seconds when the toilet is flushed and was wondering if this can be fixed. Thank you.

Rumbling noise when toilet is flushed [ 1 Answers ]

When we flush the toilet a loud noise comes from the walls and lasts for 30 seconds or more. At first it happened only occasionally, but now it happens every time. What could cause this and how can I fix it?

View more questions Search