Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lisaisafish Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2010, 02:25 PM
    Is social security numbers covered under hipaa
    Our company deals with PHI and some documents have claimants social security numbers in them. Does this mean the umbers are covered under HIPAA
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 1, 2010, 08:46 AM

Your social insurance/security number is the most confidential document you will ever carry or use. In the last few years there have been restrictions in how those number are used. If the ssi numbers are being used in a confidential environment for employment purposes it wouldn't be a problem, but if numbers were leaked out then it would be. Then it would be a violation of HIPAA.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security disability,unemployment and social security [ 2 Answers ]

I got approved for ssdi but got disapproved for ssi because my unemployment can I later get ssi after my unemployment is finished?:(

Building a covered deck above a covered front porch [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to improve the curb appeal and usefulness of our hangar home. We are planning to have a deck built above the covered front porch, and will replace the double windows (the set on the left on the 2nd floor in the front view) with French doors. Because this faces south and we are in...

Social Security Numbers [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know what happened to my social security number once I was adopted. My birth certificate was changed completely, so was my name and I was given a new social security number. What happened to my old one?

Supplemental security income and social security disability income? [ 2 Answers ]

If you are approved for supplemental security income and social security disability will you get full benefits from both or will it get cut in half and if your children receive ssi will their benefit be effected?

What are the IRS penalties for filing 1099-misc without social security numbers? [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a couple of individuals work for me for a couple of months each during the current tax year. One left to parts unknown without notice, the other was fired. I have last known addresses on both but no SS #'s. I want to file 1099s but need to know what to expect from the IRS with 1099's...

View more questions Search