Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpcash Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2010, 09:12 AM
    Property line questions
    Our neighbor wants to put a driveway on his property, however right to the property line. Are there any restrictions as to how close to property line this can be done. Also his grinder pump is on our property. The town put it in, but does this become his property if it stays there. Should we have him have it moved? Thanks so much.

Jul 31, 2010, 09:55 AM
    Land survey
    If you cannot find the markers that the land surveyor put down, do you need to have it redone or will they come out to find them. Thanks so much. Survey done about 12 years ago
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2010, 10:27 AM

If they can find them, no problem. If they can't, yes, it has to be redone.

In some areas a survey is only "good" for X years. What is the purpose of locating the markers?
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2010, 10:30 AM

Without knowing where you are it is impossible to know what your Town's setback requirements are. You cannot put anything permanent within 24 inches of the property line where I live - and that includes a driveway.

Ownership of a grinder pump does not change based on where it is located. This is not uncommon - they are placed every so many houses or every so many feet. I would "assume" that the sewer authority "owns" it.

If you want it moved, tell him you want it moved, let him notify the Town and let the Town tell you what happens next.

As far as the driveway - you CAN keep your neighbor and/or his employees from setting foot on your property. Makes it difficult to put that driveway in!

Jul 31, 2010, 11:33 AM

We are having a PROBLEM with neighbor who is putting in driveway about 14 feet from our house, but right on our property line. We want to erect a fence
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2010, 12:11 PM

I would start with calling the survey company, they may send someone out to find them ( they are fairly good at it)
    If not you may have to get a new one done, ( this time make the markers harder to move and easier to find.
    Expert

Jul 31, 2010, 12:50 PM

Yes, the code enforcement or building inspector will know the local codes for the set back. I seldom see where it can be right NEXT to a property line.

On the other issue, I would think that the city would own it and would have had to put it on a area that was a right of way for their use ?
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2010, 05:15 PM

This is part of your other thread and I have asked that both threads be combined to save time and energy.

It's been asked and answered.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2010, 05:55 PM

Thread Merged

In ANY question involving law you NEED to include a general area as laws vary by area. In this case such restrictions are probably on a county or town level.

As for the grinder pump, contact the sewer authority and ask that an easement be entered on your property record.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 31, 2010, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    As for the grinder pump, contact the sewer authority and ask that an easement be entered on your property record.
    No, ask them if they have an easement. If they don't, ask them to either move it or to tell you how much they are willing to offer you for an easement.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2010, 06:24 PM

I have been a surveyor for over thirty years. I have always recommended that people put their fences and other line defining structures, at least 6 inches on THEIR property. At no point should they meander onto the line itself. Then it will be encroaching. As far as the building of permanent strutures, that is going to be defined by the local government's laws.

I think it will be in your best interest to call the local surveyor. Look on your plat, and try to use the same one that's on the title block. They will be more apt to trust the markers that THEY set. If not, the surveyor will most likely want to totally resurvey the property. They have to be SURE that it's done right.

The last thing that you want is to be in conflict with your next door neighbor.

Good luck.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2010, 06:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    No, ask them if they have an easement. If they don't, ask them to either move it or to tell you how much they are willing to offer you for an easement.
    Do you really believe that even if an easement wasn't obtained the sewer authority can't get pne approved without paying for it?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jul 31, 2010, 07:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Do you really believe that even if an easement wasn't obtained the sewer authority can't get pne approved without paying for it?
    Chances are that there is one.

But if not,
    Certainly. Someone will have to pay.

Jul 31, 2010, 07:48 PM

T hank you all so much... you have been a tremendous help. We are grateful for info and it was informative... thanks again

Aug 22, 2010, 02:53 PM
    In Hull ma, grinder pumps were installed for waste, our neighbors is on our property
    In hull ma, we have grinder pumps, put in by the town. They put our neighbors on our property. Do we have any recourse to get it moved. No one from the town notified us.

Aug 22, 2010, 03:07 PM
    What actually is an easement..
    What actually is an easement and as a homeowner, would we know if someone has an easement on our property.. thanks this site is fantastic
    Expert

Aug 22, 2010, 03:21 PM

It would be included on the deed to the property. Filed at the recorder of deeds. Have you reviewed your deed closely, had it reviewed by a title attorney or title company.

But it allows a use for a specific reason, for power lines, or for access to other property.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 22, 2010, 03:31 PM

It would be a swath so many feet wide and long that would not belong to either property owner, but would be open space for public use. Like FrChuck said, the information will be on file on your deed which is filed at the county office.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 22, 2010, 03:47 PM
    Sorry Wondergirl and Chuck but you're both wrong. :)

An easement is when a property owner gives another person the right to pass over their land. There are many different reasons, such as access to neighboring property, or for installation and maintenance of utility lines, or even for having a direct line of sight along a roadway.

An easement can be listed on your deed but it is more often a separate document that is recorded in the county clerk or county register's office against your property. It can be recorded as a document marked "Easement" or it can be shown on a subdivision map. So the only way you would know for sure if there is an easement on your property is if you have a title search performed. The search is relatively inexpensive and would show all easements.
    Expert

Aug 22, 2010, 03:48 PM

Not to argue but having bought and sold dozens, if not 100's of properties, they are recorded at the recorder of deeds and attached to the deeds in all the states I have owned property

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Property line goes through doublewide [ 5 Answers ]

I purchased a lot with a doublewide on it.I recently had it surveyed and the property line goes two feet into doublewide.what should I do?thanks

Property line and position of the property markers [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, we have been having a problem with our neighbors about our property. It seems like they have been enchroaching more and more. Finally they got a survey but all I see are two markers, one is on the top asphalt separating the property to the left of them, then there is a marker all the way in the...

Property Line Dispute [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I live in Massachusetts, my family and I have resided in our home for approximately 9 years now. I have never surveyed our property, and just recently retrieved a copy of our property line map from the town hall. I have been saving money over the past several years to put up a fence as...

Property line [ 11 Answers ]

Our new neighbors have a wild hair to enforce the property line. We have a retaining wall separating our driveways. We built the retaining wall with the previous neighbors, both families sharing the cost. The new neighbors had a surveyor friend come and mark up the property, claiming that the true...

Property line [ 1 Answers ]

Our garage wall defines property line. Neighbor has planted invasive vine on our garage wall which is only accessible through their property. Is there a Civil Code I can quote which would disallow this foliage. We live in So. California.

View more questions Search