Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SirJaymz Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2010, 03:22 PM
    A novice's sewing project, need tips
    I'm making a superhero style cape for a friend. I've decided to make the super shield (superman style shield logo, but with different colors) out of satin to give it just a little shine. I've created a pattern for cutting the shield parts from, but I have very little experience sewing. I was wondering if anyone had any tips so that this part of the cape would come out really nice. i.e. not show a ton of stitching on top all across the parts and details of the emblem. I don't mind a row around the outside of it, but I was really hoping to overlay the 'S' color over top of the shield itself without all the stitches sewing. No idea if its even practical for a novice... but I figured I'd ask and hope for the best. :)
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Jul 31, 2010, 07:55 PM

If your using satin for the "s"n the shield you are making it kind of hard for yourself. Why not make the "s" out of felt and glue it on top of the shield. They way special glue you can use. If you feel you have to use satin then use the felt as a base and cover it with the satin and then glue it on. You can use a whip stitch if you feel the glue is not good enough.

Aug 1, 2010, 06:39 PM

I wanted it to be shiny. The inside liner which is already shiny will double as the overlay for the shield. Thus I bought the same type of product for the shield color. I guess I should have asked this question before I bought materials. : /

Aug 2, 2010, 09:52 PM

The shiny material is harder to sew. But if you cover some other fabric like the felt with that stuff it should be OK. Cut out the s and then cover it with the shiny and glue it down on the back of the felt. Maybe you could used the iron facing on the back of the s it will stablize the material too. You go girl!

Aug 3, 2010, 07:22 PM

... I'm not a girl, but thanks for the advice anyhow. :) I'll see what I can do. I haven't sewn much of anything since home economics in high school, so this is a crazy project to jump back in on. Lol

I did work on the S all night last night and it came out fairly well, though I may do another attempt. I don't like that some of the iron on bonding agent bled through in a few places on the satin. I haven't put a stitch into it yet, which I think I'll save for bringing all the pieces together. All the work so far has been cutting and heat bonding, but it really did come out better than I thought I might do, so I'm kind of happy even though like I said I might not even keep the first try for the finished product. :)

Ty again for your tips thus far.

Aug 5, 2010, 09:25 PM
    I tried again, and practice making perfect, I could have used just a little more practice with the iron and heat 'n' bond... but it came out much better than the first attempt. I think I'm done this for now. I'll deliver the parts to another friend that can machine sew the rest. Thanks again for the tips, my friends 'super mom' cape is going to be everything I hoped it'd be. Once she actually gets the gift, I'll try to remember to post a link for a picture once I get one up on my Facebook. :)

Aug 7, 2010, 02:18 AM

Well I'm glad it all worked out and sorry about the she thingie! Oops! I don't sew much myself But I've made many costumes for my son, and do allot of crafts. I'd love to see pic if you get to it.

Aug 23, 2010, 07:42 PM

Here's how it came out. The friend that sewed the project together for me made all the kids their own capes as well as practice and so they wouldn't be stealing momma's cape. All I really did was pick the fabric, and as the thread above indicates cut, shape and fold the super symbol. :) I'm rather pleased with the result. The entire shield is a semi-shiny satin, and the silver of the shield and collar has sparkles in it. http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._5404781_n.jpg

Aug 23, 2010, 11:41 PM

You did a great job! That shield looks just perfect, I can't believe you never did this stuff before. So is this going to be your new side job? He He! You should be proud of yourself. It looks like your daughter (?) likes it too.
    GOOD JOB!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2010, 12:35 AM

That's not bad at all.

I would have given the advice to use a thick fabric underneath the S and the outer symbol to make it look more like a raised emblem.

I haven't done any real sewing for a while. Learned on a Treadle.

Aug 28, 2010, 03:39 PM

Thank you, very kind words, but its hardly perfect from this perfectionist's point of view. She loved it, and that's all that mattered...

... but from a technical standpoint it took several tries to get it to come out that well, and I still know a few things that are wrong with it... but I'm not telling! Lol If I had a machine here to use I would have tried to sew it together myself. I was pretty decent in home economics. :)

I like doing fun little projects and learning new things or even dusting off old skills I used to have, especially when its for something like this that'll make someone really happy. It will not be a side business. I seriously doubt I could make money at it. Hehe

No one in the picture is related to me. I'm friends with the super momma, and finally got to meet her and the kids a couple weeks ago when I traveled out to them for her birthday.

Aug 28, 2010, 04:38 PM

At least you tried and did a good job, some people won't even try. You also made someone happy, that's two birds with one stone. What more could you ask for!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Project [ 2 Answers ]

I have to make a project on chart of "Disease And Its cure".Please give an idea to make it distinct and tips.

Lightening dyed hair tips (tips are almost black) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have medium auburn hair naturally. I dyed my hair a dark auburn but there is a section of my hair where the tips (two inches from root to tip) is almost black. I want to lighten these tips. Would using Peroxide Volume 20 mixed with shampoo do this?

Sewing paper on cloth on a sewing machine [ 1 Answers ]

Any hints on how to successfully sew crêpe paper onto sheer cloth? I am making angel wings for a pageant and the needle keeps cutting right through the paper. What I have gotten done is beautiful and light weight so I know this is the right combination but it is taking more time than I...

My new project. [ 1 Answers ]

Hey everyone. Im working on a type of scrapbooking project. My boyfriend and I will be celebrating our anniversary soon and I want to make a special scrapbook for him. I read this idea in another site which consists on different kind of pictures from all over the world, so I'd like to ask kind...

Value of Raymond Sewing Company Foot Pedal Sewing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

I am in possession of a Raymond Company foot pedal operated Sewing machine and I am wondering roughly what it may be worth. I believe it is from the late 1800's.

View more questions Search