Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wwotr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 04:37 PM
    Insulating Pipes??
    My wife and I recently moved to the Foothills at about 3000' elevation.
    We get a "dusting" of snow but not a lot, but the temps are MUCH colder here, than in the Valley.
    Our house is a small 825 SQ FT. All the exposed water pipes are insulated with foam wrap.
    All the copper pipe underneath the house s not wrapped. Last night it got down to 23 degrees.
    I woke up and took a shower and everything as far as water flow/pressure was normal.
    About 2 hours later, I flushed the toilet and heard what sounded like a "Crushed Ice" sound. I turned on the bathroom faucets and got a spuratic water (like air in the line).
    Now I noticed that after my shower, a neighbor that backs up to me, had what looks like a pipe that froze and ruptured overnight.
    Could this have been the cause of our problems?
    The water in our house is running fine now. My wife is telling me to get under the house and wrap the pipes. I'm saying it was a flluke with the neighbors pipe and that was the cause. We've had temps in the mid 20's before with no problems.
    Questions/Opinions welcome.

Roger
    dgvgp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 06:01 PM
    When u say underneath the house do you have a basement or a crawl space. To insulate the pipes underneath the house is a good idea especially if they are hot water pipes even in a heated basement. U can use foam pipe wrap (and and then cover them with pink insulation if they are underneath the house or in a crawl space; don't put exposed insulation inside the house) Winter is almost over and the easiest solution for now is to leave the bathroom or kitchen tap lightly dripping, that way water is always running or moving within the pipes giving less of a chance to freeze the water with in the pipes. I live where the temperatures get below 40 degrees and that's the way we did it. Now the best way, a bit expensive, is spray insulation foam, blue gives a true insulation to whatever is applied to. Great for garages, ceilings, and walls, but that's going a bit overkill as temperature upthere goes only into the mid 20's.

Dec 18, 2006, 06:07 PM
    The pipes are under the house and it has crawl space acsess.
    It is on a hillside so the space underneath goes from about 2' at the front of the house and sloapes down to about 5' in the rear.
    Its not that hard to get acsess underneath.
    I just didn't want to buy 100' of foan insulation if I didn't have to.
    :D
    Roger
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2006, 07:28 PM
    How old is this place? If it is fairly new, I would assume it hasn't gone through an unusually cold snap. I think Lowe's and HD have 8' lengths for about a buck or better stuff for more like 3 bucks. A dozen of the good stuff would be less than $40.

Frozen pipes and worrying about frozen pipes is a pain. Do it and relax.

How old are you and how long do you expect to be in the house? Better now than 20 years from now after a burst pipe.

Dec 18, 2006, 08:01 PM
    Labman,
    I assume the house has seen plenty of cold snaps.
    It was built in 1965, but the entire house was "flipped" as far as pipes, electrical, foundation, appliances, marble counter tops, cupboards,Hardwood Flooring,new deck, new paint etc...
    I'm almost 50, and I hope to be staying here at LEAST 10 years, if not the rest of my life.
    I think a trip to the Hardware store is in order!
    Roger

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pipes vibrating [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, A few things have recently started... 1) Our water pressure system seems to be acting up. When you turn on as faucet, the water pump kicks in. My understanding is the pressure in the tank keeps this from happening until below a certain point. I checked the pressure in the water tank and...

Roaring pipes? [ 1 Answers ]

This is a home that was built back in the late 60's/early 70's. Initially the first thing I noticed is with the basement toilet. It sounded like it was flushin' or refillin' on it's own. Now when it does that the pipes (I'm guessin' the pipes) seem to roar/whine. I've checked the water level in the...

Banging pipes [ 1 Answers ]

In just one bathroom when the water is turned on the pipes bang when the water is running or when the toilet is flush

Noisy pipes [ 2 Answers ]

Whenever I turn on my water the water pipes make a loud noise. What could it be?

Old Pipes [ 4 Answers ]

I'm redoing a bathroom in a 1960's vintage home. Wanted to replace the rusted pipes draining from the sink (in the wall) with pvc. Should I screw out the pipe or just pull. Do I have to knock out the wall and get a clear view or can I do the job without wall damage. When I install the PVC do I...

View more questions Search