Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsjackson57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 04:54 PM
    Could blowimg rain cause leaking pvc pipe on top of house
    When there is a really hard, blowing rain we have leaking in several places inside the house. It seems to be running the rafters (according to my neighbor) and there is pvc pipes in the attic where you can see outside (around the pipe) this is only the second time this has happened in six years. Would sealing around the pvc fix this or do I have another bigger problem?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 05:08 PM

Hi Rsjackson...

If you can see light around the pipe and the wind blows in a particular direction it is very possible that water could get in and follow the pipe to almost any point along the pipe as vent pipes pitch back toward the drains.

Can you physically get up into the attic and explore for leaks? If you can I'd check right at the base of the pipe going out the roof and see if you can see any staining below the pipe... a clear indicator that this is, at the least, part of the issue.

You may also want to go on the roof and use a silicone caulking around the pipe where the pipe goes through the roof boot.

Let us know your thoughts...

Mark
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2010, 07:04 PM
    If the leak is from the pipe,it WILL be the boot.(unless the actual pipe is broken)If you see light,you have a damaged boot.

New pipe boots are not expensive,relatively easy to install(for a roofer,it could be done for very little,as long as the roof is not too pitched,the pipe is accessible,etc)

New boots have a rubber seal which when installed,stretches around the pipe.There should be NO LIGHT showing through ANY part of a roof.

Leaks,in general on a shingled roof,are from the items that penetrate the roof,not the actual shingles(unless they are that old), pipes,vents,chimney flashing,roof-to-wall flashing,etc.And leaks will naturally follow the path of least resistance,high to low.

If the water is showing at the base of a rafter,search up until you can determine the whereabouts of the source.Get the general location from the inside and (if you are going to do the leak sealing) go in the roof and look within the 3-4 feet around where you think it might be.

If the nails are up from the shingles,lift the tab and re-nail.

If there is a flashing problem,say against the chimney sides,I would suggest a roofer.

In all honesty,I would suggest at least a handyman to install a boot as they need to be sealed and overlap the shingles at the bases to make sure future leaks don't happen.

I am tired and I hope this made sense:)

KBC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking pvc pipe [ 2 Answers ]

A leaking PVC pipe (6 inch) in basement is dripping (slow)... house is 20 years old.. is this generally a big problem or generally a relatively easy fix... and where do I start.. Thanks erichdg:(

PVC drain pipe leaking [ 3 Answers ]

I have a PVC drain pipe in the kitchen that is leaking,I read many article,some say.. reseal with primer and glue.. but it won't last.. some say used Goop glue... some say JB weld... which is good.. and will last for years.. because the plumber said its going to cost me over $300,00 to get it...

Furnace PVC pipe leaking and overflowing. [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace is in my garage and I noticed water leaking out of my garage door and when I opened the furnace door I saw that the PVC pipe that comes down from my furnace was leaking at a fast rate into my drain. My drain fills up and it seems as though the wter may not be getting flowing. I am not...

Leaking underground PVC drainage pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Recently water has been pooling on my lawn and spilling over into my neighbor's yard. I think it may be a leaking underground PVC drainage pipe. How can I fix this?

View more questions Search