Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sydneyrae Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2010, 04:42 PM
    What would happen if I ran away with my older boyfriend at 17 years old
    OK, so I am 2 months from being 18, and my parents really believe its best for me to stay home with them until after my birthday. I've been through a lot of things most 17 year olds haven't, and I want to know what could happen to me if I decide to leave home now, and get my life started early. My boyfriend is 19 and is worried that he could get in the most trouble, however if my wishes are to be with him I don't think they should be excluded.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 04:45 PM

He could be charged with harboring a runaway. You only have two months left.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2010, 04:59 PM

J_9 is correct... not worth taking a chance of anyone getting into trouble.

If you are intent on leaving when you hit 18, use the next two months to make sure you have good plans in place. Packing up and taking off to get away from past problems sounds good, but you will only be facing different problems once you are out on your own.

Finances... has it been discussed? Where will you live, how will bills be paid, do you work, do you have plans for college, who will pay what bills, transportation, health insurance coverage... those are just some of the basics.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 06:57 PM

Yes, there are a list of crimes boyfriend could be charged with,
    Harboring a run away, custodial interference, and more if you were to cross any state lines.

Next they could also try to lock you up for a couple months in Juv as being delinquent.

And of course you ruin a relationship with your parents for years to come.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2010, 08:57 PM

Why risk it? Two months isn't a long time to wait.
    Enigma1999 Posts: 2,223, Reputation: 1077
    Welbeing Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 09:03 PM

Hello S,

I would just wait the two months, then you are home free... Don't risk getting your boyfriend in trouble.

I also agree with Doula, I would formulate some sort of a plan during these next two months. Be smart about your decisions. I wish you luck.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2010, 10:22 AM

Its only 2 months hon. Wait it out. It won't be long and then you won't have to take the risk of you both getting in trouble.

Good luck hon.
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2010, 10:38 AM

If you do anything before the two month period, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 30, 2010, 10:39 AM

You've waited 17 years, 2 months is nothing. It will fly by, then you can do what you want.

Just stick it out, you don't want to start your new life with a list of problems to face. Not worth it.
    milliekyddx Posts: 5, Reputation: 1
    -

Mar 22, 2011, 08:12 AM
    I well want to run away but I can't do it like some other people but I did once and I never came back but now me and my boyfriend have a flat and we have a new born little girl called chloe-ann
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2011, 10:19 AM

The OP is now 18 and I would assume with her boyfriend.
    If you would like some help make your own post. And some more information would help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What would happen if I ran away [ 9 Answers ]

What would happen if I ran away and then get caught by the cops, would I get in big trouble with them, what if I kept doing it again would child services take me away from my mom??

What would happen if my boyfriend and I ran away? [ 5 Answers ]

ohkay well were 13 years old, my best friend and her boyfriend we were all talking about juss running away, I want to know what would happen to us if they found us. I don't want you to tell me not to do this because I know its not a good idea, I'm not saying I'm going to do it either, I juss want...

Losing home after 20 years of payments, how can this happen? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I bought a 3 bedroom house for 60k, with a huge crack in the basement for no money down from a couple who was friends with him and did not want to deal with the basement. This is in Kansas City, Missouri. We unfortunately used a contract for deed which of course was their idea....

I like a guy 2 years older than me. [ 20 Answers ]

Yesh, he's 12 and I'm 10. But many people say that's not a lot, or age doesn't matter, because I sure think it probably does. But I'm thinking about joining the boys and girls club soon, with my friends, so I won't have to be alone to talk to him. You see, I only see him on his scooter outside my...

What would happen if I ran away from home? [ 21 Answers ]

Im 14 yrs. Old! I live with my grandparents. If I decided to have one of my friends drive me to my moms , but right when I got there she called the police and said " my daughter is at my house , she ran away from her house." Would my mom get introuble? What would happen to me? And if I ran...

View more questions Search