Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goodtimecharlie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 09:24 PM
    Do we tile all of the shower walls even around the shower pipes then shower handle on
    We are tiling around the tub do we tile all 3 walls then put shower handle and tub spout on walls or do we put tub handle on wall then tile around it?
    goodtimecharlie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 09:25 PM

We are tiling around the tub do we tile all 3 walls then put shower handle and tub spout on walls or do we put tub handle on wall then tile around it?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2010, 11:17 PM

Tile and grout walls before u put the finish pieces on.

Chuck
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 11:35 PM

I don't think that's the question that's being asked.

On one of the jobs I did, I made the entire assembly removeable with 3 unions from the rear.

It's much easier to drill round holes in tile that's set in place.

So, tile. Drill and mount from behind.

Carbide hole saws work, glass drills work and so do router bits even mounted on a Dremel tool for the large hole.

Remember the locations are entirely symmetrical with shower head, mixing valve and tub spout. At least they have to be along a center line.

The shower head needs a dog-eared elbow to mount to. Much is based on that.

Commercial type pipe hangers like ceiling flanges, all thread and pipe hangers make a totally rigid adjustible clamp for the assembly.

Just think about it. It's hard to put a round hole in say the center of 4 tiles with the tiles not mounted?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 09:11 AM

The usual is to do the plumbing, set the valve, tub spout and shower riser, install the backer board and then do tile work. That's why single handle valves come with installation templates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can 12x12 ceramic tile be used in bathrooms on walls and shower walls [ 3 Answers ]

can I install 12x12 ceramic floor tile on my bathroom walls and shower walls?

Setting Tile on Shower Floor and Walls [ 3 Answers ]

We are about to begin setting the tile in the shower. Which should we do first? The floor or the walls?

How do I remove a one handle shower know to tile? [ 2 Answers ]

Find Delta Shower Fixture, Chrome and other Faucets at Aubuchon Hardware I am tiling my tub and I need to remove a one handle shower knob that is very similar to this link. I can't figure out how to get the handle off. I also don't know how to attach a picture of the real handle which would...

Re-glazing bathtub, shower and tile walls [ 1 Answers ]

I need the names for reputable companies on Long Island in Nassau County who specialize in re-glazing bath tubs, shower, and bathroom tile.

Installing new tile shower walls [ 2 Answers ]

I am installing new tile on top of a new cultured marble shower pan. I rested the durock on the top lip of the shower pan as directed by company. Its now time to tile the walls. Should I rest the first row of tiles directly on top of the shower pan or should I lift the first row up just a little...

View more questions Search