Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kyx004 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 02:06 PM
    I am on SSDI and am married. Is there any reason we should not file a joint return?
    If my wife and I file a joint return and I have charity contributions, will they still give us a tax credit for those contributions or would it be better to file separate returns?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 29, 2010, 06:27 AM

You can deduct charitable contributions on Schedule A up to an amount equal to 50% of your adjusted gross income. In general your tax bill is lower if you file as Married Filing Jointly as opposed to two separate returns of Married Filing Separately, but you can always run the numbers both ways to see which works out best for you. Note that your charitable deductions qualify as a tax deduction, not a tax credit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filling married joint tax return with wife [ 3 Answers ]

My wife is on F1 studying in US, she filled her tax return few days back, now I want to file my tax return as a joint married couple. My question is: how can I fix the problem as my wife has already filled a tax return as individual, now I want to include her taxes and file a joint return as...

Husband H1-B, wife F1, can file joint return? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my husband was F1 from 2004 to 9/2008, he changed to H1-B at 10/1/2008. Can he file the tax return for dual status (9 months for non-residence and 3 months for residence) for 2008? I came to U.S. at 2007, now I'm holding F1 visa. If my husband can file dual status, can I file joint return...

Can I file a joint return.wife on H4? [ 1 Answers ]

I have lived in the united states for 10 yrs. I am on H1-B. My wife is on H4 dependent visa. Can I file a joint tax return?

Do I file Married Filing Joint? [ 2 Answers ]

I got married last year. My husband resides abroad. He only came to visit for about a month and went back. Do I file my 2007 Taxes as Married Filing Joint or Single? If I am filing joint, what information do I put for his Social Security Number? How do I handle his income? He made the equivalent...

Joint Tax Return or File separately? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B visa since September 2005. I got married in November (21st) of 2007. Wife was on F-1 until October 31st 2007 and switched to H1-B on November 1st. How do I go about filing my federal tax return? Do I file as jointly or both of us file it married but separate. In the...

View more questions Search