Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    papa_D Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 01:47 PM
    AC compressor not running Just installed new unit & it only ran for a day HELP PLEASE
    AC wasn't cooling (compressor wasn't running) on system and after a lot of troubleshooting - I installed a whole new outside condenser unit (this is at an apartment complex). The unit worked great - for one day! Then the compressor quit running. Fan is still running. I have checked everything I can think of but what would cause this with two different units? Please help I need to get this fixed now if I want to keep my job!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 01:58 PM

Non-condenseables, TXV.

Did compressor go out on a thermal?

Air flow over evaporator.

Did you do superheat/subcooling calcs?

Jul 28, 2010, 02:40 PM

After unit was installed valves were released and cooling was good for 2 days now the high side 4 reads around 240 but the a coil does not get cold
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 02:46 PM

What does [quote=papa_D]valves were released[/quote' mean?

Vaccumed? How far? How long dos it hold? Check for leaks?
    Pressures don't mean much.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 03:54 PM

Kiss brings up some great points. Was the system vaccumed, and tested for leaks. Was the correct unit installed(r22, or r410, and matching tonage for evap coil). There are just so many things that could have gone wrong with improper install and setup. Are you licensed to work with refrigerents and systems. Pressures will actually tell a story, but you need to know what your looking for. There may be blockage in filter/drier, or oriface at a/coil(if present), or faulty tev/txv, like I said, just too many options. Please let us know more on this. Good luck.

Jul 28, 2010, 04:21 PM

I am certified . It's an r 22 system. Was vacuumed properly . It is the second unit installed within a couple months .I didn't install the first one but the compressor went to ground. It only lasted a month. There isn't a line dryer on the system. Is it possible for piston be blocked at a coil ?
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2010, 04:28 PM

Its possible that the problem is electrical as on contactot or loose connections. Could also be mgr lot specific defect.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 28, 2010, 05:01 PM

Yes, its very possible. Usually, you will see normal, or a little high on the liquid side, and low or even pulling a vac on the suction side, if you see this, it indicates a plugged piston. This is where the suction side pressure will give a good clue as to what is happening in the system. If indeed you find this to be your problem, I would add a filter drier while the system is opened for cleaning of the piston.
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2010, 05:13 PM

Was there a lot of oil in the lines when you took the old unit out? This will tell you if you have a blocked line dryer. If the piston in the coil was blocked you would have a high head pressure and low suction pressure. Did you check to see if the compressor is out on overload?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor compressor unit not running [ 1 Answers ]

My out door compressor unit stopped working suddenly. It sounds like something is running but the fan isn't turning on. I have tried replacing the fuses but it didn't help.

Day & Night heater blower fan constantly running [ 5 Answers ]

Carrier Day & Night Heater Model# 394GAW000075 System was working flawlessly up until this morning. I was moving some items around in the basement and somehow managed to disconnect one of the t-stat wires, leading into the heater. After reconnecting, turning the system on simply runs the blower...

Day & Night Central Heating Unit not responding. [ 3 Answers ]

Good afternoon all, I have a problem with my Day & Night Central Heating Unit. Last night it just would not kick on the heat. No matter how high I turned the thermostat up, it still would not kick on. I removed the front panel and the pilot is still lit. It maybe the thermostat, I'm not sure. ...

Day & Night Unit on the BLINK [ 4 Answers ]

I changed my filter in my central heating system and when I replaced the front the fan motor started to run. The thermostat was in the off position. I removed the front cover and replaced it again and the fan continued to run. The pilot light would not come on. It is a week later and we tried all...

View more questions Search