Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lakepat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 09:09 AM
    government write-up for insubordination
    My supervisor has been out due to an accident and her supervisor named me Acting Director. However, I am aware that my supervisor, Amy, has still been responding to emails and has been in contact with other staff in the office. I contacted Amy to discuss a particular case to ask her opinion on how it should be handled. This case is the responsibility of another staff member, Bob, but requires approval. I went to Bob to discuss the changes Amy and I discussed. Bob thought the changes were not necessary and said he would call Amy himself. I suggested he put his discussion points into an email to both me and Amy. In response to those emails, I further stated my concerns. Amy responded to Bobs email to move forward "as is". The next day, Bob wrote to only me asking to further discuss one of the issues. I told him the issues were moot since the decision had been made to go forward. He said he saw value in having the discussion. In the end, we had to agree to disagree on the issues.

The next day, I received an email from Amy stating that she understood there had been further discussions on the issue in spite of her email and gave me a direct order to move forward or I would be written up for insurbordination.

There has been tension with Amy since she became the Director and more recently with Bob over the transitions in the office. I need to know what my rights are regarding this threat of insubordination. I am disturbed that this is her first communication with me on this issue. For several months, I believe she has created a hostile work environment by her management style and would also like to know my rights and recourse. Of course, I am seeking other employment. At my level, it will take some time and need to survive without my career or health being negatively impacted.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2010, 09:40 AM

I would respond to Amy, stating that didn't understand her note. Explain to her that you discussed the issue further with Bob only at his insistence (I assume you have the e-mails to prove that) and had accepted her decision to "move forward".
    Close by stating that you hope this clears the air.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2010, 08:03 AM

Hello l:

Scott is right. The mistake you made, was to clarify the lines of command. You might have THOUGHT you were in charge because they TOLD you so, but you WEREN'T, were you?

Certainly, if there's further proceedings on your write up, you can bring up the CLOUDY chain of command that you were given to work under.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insubordination is a false acusation [ 4 Answers ]

I was terminated from my job due to subordination to my supervisor and violation of standards of conduct. I never displayed unnaceptable conduct to my supervisor or any member of management and I never violated the company standards... I was a packing operator on the second shift but I requested a...

How has the government government legislate morality? [ 4 Answers ]

How has the government government legislate morality?

Terminated for insubordination [ 3 Answers ]

I have been terminated from my job. Reason given, insubordination! I have never been written up for any reason and has only missed 2 days of work. After reviewing the work schedule for the rest of November, I noticed that I was scheduled to work on a day where I was scheduled to work at my other...

Accused of insubordination [ 10 Answers ]

My supervisor accused me of insubordination because I shut a door to loudly after she put her finger to her mouth indicating that I was speaking to loudly. During this repremand she said to me "Whether you like it or not I am your supervisor". I have never once indicated or spoken words to...

View more questions Search