Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    latino13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 06:50 AM
    My car keys were stolen n so was my car.. were do I stand with my insurance company
    Law
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2010, 07:37 AM

Was a police report of the theft filed? Basically you file a claim under your insurance? Have you done that?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2010, 09:12 AM

If you have full coverage or liabiity and comprehensive your claim would be honored provided you filed a stolen car report in a timely manner. After so many days and your car is not recovered you would be paid for your car by the insurance company - probably book value.

If you had only liability coverage you're out of luck here.

My Jeep was stolen and reported stolen. It was found about 2 weeks later about 60 miles away. Towed to a storage yard. I had to go and get paperwork from the Police Department, then go to the impound yard and pay an arm and a leg to get it out. Daily storage fee. When I got the car back the windshield was smashed in obviously hit by a heavy object and needed replaced. My insurance paid for the windshield replacement and nothing else. They didn't pay for the towing and daily storage fee. Yep. Had to pay for that myself even though I had "full coverage" on my car. The police explained to me that if they let the victim of the stolen car off the hook for the towing and storage fees what's to stop the "victim" from doing this again and again. Sounds unfair but that's the law. The owner of the vehicle pays the towing and storage fees - not the criminal who stole the vehicle.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 9, 2010, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    The police explained to me that if they let the victim of the stolen car off the hook for the towing and storage fees what's to stop the "victim" from doing this again and again. Sounds unfair but that's the law. The owner of the vehicle pays the towing and storage fees - not the criminal who stole the vehicle.
    That's a stupid explanation by the cops. A better explanatoin is that the owner of the vehicle is ALWAYS responsible for paying towing and impound fees of their car. Doesn't matter why the car was towed - could be for being parked in a tow zone, or for too many parking tickets, or because the driver (who may not be the owner) is hauled off for DUI, or whatever. The impound lot can not run some sort of mini court system to try and determine whose responsible for the car being towed - that would be totally impractical - so the owner pays. Of course you could always sue the criminal in small claims to be reimbursed for your out-of-pocket expenses. Good luck with that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does my insurance company have to pay for damages to a car with no insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was at fault for a car accident, however the other person had no insurance. In the state of Indiana you must have insurance. My question is does my insurance have to pay the other person damages? Also can I report this person to police department for false information on a legal report...

What do I do if I lock my only set of car keys inside my car? [ 3 Answers ]

What do I do if I lock my only set of car keys inside my car?

Stolen car, no insurance, lienholder payments [ 3 Answers ]

My car was stolen, I am in a fix here because my insurance will not cover the car because there was a glitch at the DMV and the registration did not come up in the system. For days the police could not run the tags or the vin because nothing came up.. finally they were able to get the info. Once I...

No Proof Of Insurance.Car stolen.No Fault [ 5 Answers ]

My car was recently stolen without me knowing and I found this out because it was up town on the side of the road. Apparently the person that stole was hit in the front by an older lady as he was going through a green light. They still haven't caught the man that stole my car. What happens now...

View more questions Search