Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barn_z Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 05:51 AM
    1991 Accord, new distributor, plugs, wires, fuel pump, no spark?
    Hello.. I have a 1991 Honda accord that just got a head gasket re-done. Using a 12V light tester, I have power on the battery side (with a steady light), the other end of the coil wire I hear is supposed to pulse (on the ignition side) but I get no power or light. I've changed the distributor, spark plugs, wires, fuel pump, fuses.. I still get the check engine light, and no spark.. The tow truck guy says it's the igniter. Is that part inside the distributor?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2010, 06:50 AM

If the CEL comes on for 2 seconds and goes out, when the ignition switch is turned to ON (Position II), then the problem is with the distributor. Over 50% of new aftermarket distributors for Hondas don't work at AMHD. I only recommend genuine Honda distributors housings, where it's fine to install an aftermarket Ignition Control Module and coil, in order to keep the cost down.
    barn_z Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks a lot for the quick response sir! Ive troubleshot, and picked up a coil initially.. It got power on the battery side, but on the test for the ignition side (where Im supposed to get a pulse) nothing happened.. So then I went with a whole new distributor. Im now thinking its my main relay. Im going to try that out when I get out of work and see what happens. If it's that, Im puttin on my old distributor to see if that works, and take back the new one. But the CEL just stays on.. It doesn't even go off..
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2010, 10:03 AM

Since the CEL stays on, the problem is not with the distributor. Instead, the problem is with fuses, ECM, main relay, or ignition switch. A blown ACG (ALT) (S) fuse or bad ECM are usually to blame.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2010, 10:05 AM

. Test all under dash and under hood fuses with a test light or multimeter.

. Perform the K-Test on the ECM:

The K-Test: Remove the MAP Sensor connector and turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II). Using a multimeter, check for 5 volts going between the MAP Sensor connector's reference wire (+) and ground. As you look at the connector, this is the socket on the right. Really press the black test lead into a cleaned main ECM ground on the thermostat housing. If the voltage is low, it's probably indicating ECM failure. Most failed ECMs will record a fraction of a volt. To me, the K-Test is simple, elegant, and accurate.

My bet is the ECM is toast.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to start a TPI motor, new fuel pump,plugs, getting 45#'s of fuel pressure. [ 9 Answers ]

1989 Pontiac Formula 350 that won't start. New plugs, fuel pump, ECM, injectors are good, has spark. Out of options!

Why is there no power going to both of my middle spark plugs on a fzr6 1991 [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 91 yamaha fzr6 and I'm getting spark on the left and the right but not in the middle ones why is that?

I have a 1994 camry le I replaced the distributor,spark plugs,cap,rotor,fuelpump,igni [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1994 camry le . I replaced the distributor,spark plugs,wires,cap,rotor,fuelpump,and ignitor. Still I have no spark to the engine. Sometimes it will crank but when you shut it off for a wile , or over night it will not start. It turns over but will not crank. Help help help!!

92-92 civic no power to the fuel pump and no power or spark to the distributor [ 9 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 92-95 civic si. I am not getting any power to the fuel pump and no spark to the distributor. I have check all my sensors and have replaced the distributor. Checked the continuity to the distributor and all checks out good. I also have checked all grounds and all checked out all so....

96 accord- No spark & no fuel from pump [ 10 Answers ]

Hi guys, I have a 96 accord that just died one day on the way to school, no spark from the coil, and no gas from the fuel pump, well I replaced the main fuel relay thinking that had to be the cause of all my problems, but Murpheys law is working against me as usual, does any one here have an idea...

View more questions Search