Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Perez90 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 05:44 AM
    Who do you call when your job won't give you your check
    My previos job is refusing to give me my last check because I did not work on a sat. wich was after I told them in the beging of the week that I was not going to be able to come in that day because I had a wedding that I had to go to. So I am just wondering what I can do to get paid for mon. through fri, tha days that I did work.
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Jul 27, 2010, 08:00 AM

If you have exhausted your efforts with your previous employer, then you can contact your state's labor department and file a complaint.

My question to you though is this - how did you notify your previous employer that you were not able to work that Saturday? Did you put the request in writing? Did you follow your employer's policy on requests for time off? What is the reason your previous employer gives you for them withholding that check from you?

Legally, I do not see how they can withhold pay for the days you actually worked. Unless I am missing some part of the story.

If you have contacted their Human Resources/Personnel and still no results, call your state's Labor Department or even Job Service to file a complaint.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2010, 08:08 AM

Hello P:

Personally, I'd bypass the labor board, because even if they agree with you, their ruling has NO teeth.

Small claims court, on the other hand, will give you a judgment that HAS teeth, in that it allows you to collect your money whether the plaintiff likes it or not.

You will, of course, lose your job. But, I wouldn't work for anybody who would do that to me.

excon
    Perez90 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 02:58 PM
    Thank you for answering me. And to answer your ?'s, no I did not get it in writing. The boss just said when I started that if I needed a day off to let him know a couple days in advace that way he would know. And that's what I did, I told him on mon. of that week that I was not going to be able to come into work that sat because I had a wedding. And the reasone they said I don't have a check is because I did not work all available days that week. (saterday)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 03:57 PM

They have to pay you for the days you did work.
    Todd7290 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2010, 06:14 PM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    That is true. In some states you can sue in small claims for 10 times the amount owed. Some stipulate if not paid within 2 weeks. I would check into your particular state laws. Some are harsher than others in cases of companies not paying their e
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 20, 2010, 06:18 PM

I did forget to ask a follow up.

Most companies pay either weekly or bi weekly, you do not get a check for the work you do this week, ( this week) you get paid the work you do this week on the next pay check.

So if you were wanting a check on the last day you worked, most companies do not do that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a potential new job have to call my current one? [ 2 Answers ]

I am unhappy at my current job and I think I want to start looking into another firm or even a different field altogether. My question is, if I fill out applications or go on interviews and specify that I am still working at my latest job, will they call and confirm employment or ask questions....

Who do you call when your employer won't give you your paycheck after termination? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. My boyfriend just put in his two week notice last Friday after finding a better paying job. After six days, there was an investigation done by local detective. Nothing has been concluded so far but it did result in firing 5 people. There is no proof that any of these people did anything...

Should I give up or wait for him to call? [ 1 Answers ]

There was this dude that liked me and I like him too but for some reason we just never went out. He got a girlfriend and they were together for like 3 months but now they broke up I think and I was wondering if I should let it go and let the past be the past or should I wait for him to call me so...

Would you call this Job Discrimination? [ 8 Answers ]

I live in NJ and my company is now based out Illinois. I applied for a new position back in the beginning or November. I was told that I would have an answer back in about 2 weeks. Well it took them just over 2 months to get back to me. I was told that our HR department would not tell me that I...

View more questions Search