Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hogbus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 04:29 AM
    Gas in Air Filter
    Hello! I have an MTD lawn tractor, about 5 years old. At the start of the season, I changed the oil, plugs, and air filter. Its been running fine until this past weekend. My wife mowed the back yard and parked it. I came back about 10min later to use it for another section of yard. It was very hard to start.. it would sputter and lope then die. After doing this a few times, all it would do was crank and not start. I took off the air filter and tried again. It started right up but continued to sputter and lope and would only run with the choke pulled halfway out. The air filter is soaked with gas. I let it sit over night and the next day I tried again... now it will run a little better with more normal choke operation until I put the air filter back on, then sputter and die. There seems to be a lot of gas spurting up out of the carb... I let it run for 5 min with no filter but the filter cover on and almost the entire pan where the filter sits was wet and there was gas dripping from the filter cover. I can't imagine the new filter is to blame, could it be bad gas or a carb problem? Thanks in advance!
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 10:02 AM

Hi,
    It could be a number of things. One thing, that air filter is "toast." Once soaked the pores in the paper plug. Check the oil to see if oil has been contaminated with gas; strongly suspected. That would be inlet neelde problems in the carb.
    Other things possible are intake vale problems and a blown head gasket.
    Peace,
    Clarke
    hogbus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2010, 06:51 PM
    Thank you Clarke, I will get a chance to work on it some this weekend. If it's the inlet needle, how hard is that to fix? Can I take apart the carb, clean it up and put it back together again?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold air from ac but not enough air flow filter OK coils clean freon is full [ 3 Answers ]

Unit is original fedders from 1972. Gas heat/elec air. Condenser mounted on roof. New thermostate from power co. (they have not started their savings program yet) replaced both motors within last 5 years, along with caps, and the 24/220 contactors. Redone most of the wiring, both above and below....

Gas pouring out air filter, lawn mower won't crank [ 3 Answers ]

My mom has a Snapper, 15hp Kohler engine. The last time she mowed the grass it ran fine. She turned it off for about an hour and it wouldn't crank again. Gas poured out of the air filter. Later, she got it running but for only a few minutes and it shut down. Could it have something to do with...

How do you clean a permanent air filter? {it a Trostataic Air Filter}? [ 0 Answers ]

How do you clean a permanent air filter?

Gas pouring out of air filter on lawn mower [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman lawn mower, Briggs and Stratton engine. When mowing recently, gas starting pouring out of the air filter. After removing the air filter and it's connection assembly, if I tilt the mower or even if it is sitting level, all of the fuel will leak out the air filter connection. ...

Air filter soaked with gas [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a yamaha fzr 600, it won't start so I started to look into it when I found that the air filter was soaked with gas, I have no idea why, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

View more questions Search