Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Confuse1234 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 05:57 AM
    Any parent out there?
    My husband and I are married and have four children. We both parents working but always manage for one of us to be home when the children get home from school or the grandparents. My children age are 14, 12, 10 and 6. Last night, I found my oldest daughter locked herself in the bathroom and was crying. Both my husband and I went to talk to her but she did not tell us why. Why did to ask if something happen to her or to her friends? But did not get any information that I want.

Finally, I was going to take her to the emergency room and she said " she tries herself crazy and would not elaborate further". I tried to encourage her to open up to me but she asks me to give her some space. Her father is very upset and does not know what to. I called the pediatrician last night and made an appointment for her to be seen today.

Have there any parents out there experienced this situation before? Can you give me some insight information.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 18, 2006, 07:01 AM
    Welcome to teenage parenthood 101 LOL!!

I am curious as to why you were going to take her to the emergency room and then the doctor? Does this seem a little dramatic and over-the-top for a teenage girl who was crying? Could she just have had a fight with a friend? Is there more to this story that you did not put in here?

Teenage girls cry, it is a fact You did not get all the information you want, possibly because she wants her privacy. What information did you get?

I have had 2 teenage boys, I now have a teenage daughter, and I was a teenage girl myself way back in the day of the dinasours. I remember crying for no reason other than "I had a bad day" and that sometimes a good cry would make me feel better.

Is there some info you left out here? Only from what I have read here, this is typical of her age. She wants her space, let her have it. I still think though that taking her to the ER or the doctor was too dramatic, unless you are leaving out some info.

Good luck to you, parenting a teenager is not easy.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2006, 12:09 PM
    I have 5 BOYS, So I don't know anything about them, excpet my boys were on the list of banned boys from most of their homes.

But I did not know, and still don't know many things,
    1. how their car got into the middle of that corn field buried up to the axle in mud.

2. who that naked girl in my basement was suppose to be seeing

3. how my jeep ended up in the front room of someone's house.

And a 100's others things from fights, to phone calls and the such.

Short of putting bugs on all the phones, and trasers inplanted in all the kids, welcome to teenagers and not having a clue.

You do the best you can and hope you raised them right, and be there for them if and when they need you
    Burbank mom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuse1234
    My husband and I are married and have four children. We both parents working but always manage for one of us to be home when the children get home from school or the grandparents. My children age are 14, 12, 10 and 6. Last night, I found my oldest daughter locked herself in the bathroom and was crying. Both my husband and I went to talk to her but she did not tell us why. Why did to ask if something happen to her or to her friends? But did not get any information that I want.

Finally, I was going to take her to the emergency room and she said " she tries herself crazy and would not elaborate further". I tried to encourage her to open up to me but she asks me to give her some space. Her father is very upset and does not know what to. I called the pediatrician last night and made an appointment for her to be seen today.

Have there any parents out there experienced this situation before? Can you give me some insight information.
    Watch to see if she is "cutting"herself. It's a thing they do her age. If so, she is having some psychological problems that can definitely be fixed. Don't put her on any anti-depressant, the residuals are horrific.
    Get her a therapist. Someone she can talk to once a week. Someone she can trust. Let her go alone for a couple months and than gradually get group sessions with you, your husband and daughter.

Cutting can be in different areas of the body. On the wrists (is she wearing long sleeved clothes) or on the inside of the thighs. Places on her body that you don't normally see every day.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2007, 08:26 AM
    I have a teenage daughter and hope I don't have to deal with this type of issues, but I guess the crying teenage girl thing will be here before I know it after reading this info.
    rondal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2007, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Confuse1234

If she's a teenage girl I remember those days I
    Thought I was crazy a few times there's
    So much girls go through in there teenage years
    Maybe find a big sister for her someone other then her
    Parents that can be there for her and someone she can
    Talk to as a peer and not a parental figure
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Aug 28, 2007, 07:46 PM
    I think you did the right thing by making an appointment to see the doctor. The doctor would know what kind of things to ask her, know what kind of signs to look for.
    I raised a daughter and she never did anything like that, but if she had I think I would have done the same thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death of a parent [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 15 yrs old and I keep thinking about my mom. She keeps getting sick and isn't taklin care of her heal and when I do tell her to go to the gym or go walking she just yelles at me. I lost my dad when I was 5 and I don't want my mom to go. Now a days I've been thinking a lot of her goinng a way. I...

License to parent [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any case laws or bills referring to potential parents being required to have a license to parent prior to having children?

Parent incarcerated [ 3 Answers ]

Can rights be taken from a parent if they are in jail?

Step parent [ 1 Answers ]

Does anybody know anything about step parents rights? Do we have any? Where do I look to find out more?

View more questions Search