Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovejoy38 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 05:38 PM
    16 year old dating 20 year old in Pennsylvania
    My 19 and a half year old son is dating a 15 and a half year old girl. She lied and told me she was 16 and even then I'm still upset about it. I think she is too young. Spoke with her mother about it. She said its OK. Her father is not OK with it. I am horrified of my son getting in trouble. I'm trying to talk him out of the relationship for his own good. I know in pa. the cosent to date is 16. I will still feel the same way I feel when she turns 16. Any advice on helping him to break up with this girl without hurting her feelings?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 26, 2010, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovejoy38 View Post
    the cosent to date is 16.
    You are incorrect here. There is no such thing as a Consent to date age. There are no laws anywhere in the US and most of the world that regulate how old a person must be to date. Age of consent laws refer ONLY to sexual activity.

However, a minor is still under the control of their parents (your son is not a minor but the girl is). Therefore if her parents are against the relationship, he could get in trouble defying their wishes.

What does a 19 yr old MAN want with a 15 1/2 yr old child, even a 16 yr old child? They are at very different stages in their development. Is your son in college or working?

But your question appears to be how your son can break it off without hurting the girl. What makes you think she will be hurt. She lied to your son, so what qualifies her to not be hurt? Let him tell her that since she was dishonest with him about her age, that leaves him with trust issues about her and if he can't fully trust her, the relationship will never go anywhere. While this may hurt her, it will, hopefully, teach her a lesson about honesty.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 06:57 PM

At this point or even at 16 there are various laws that could still be used against him, if either of her parents object

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pennsylvania law Can a 17 year old date a 14 years old in Pennsylvania [ 4 Answers ]

Can a 17 year old date a 14 year old in Pennsylvania

I am 26 year old girl dating a 18 year old boy, is that wrong? [ 17 Answers ]

I am a 26 year old lady and I am considering dating an 18 year old guy. I just wanted to know what you all think. Is it wrong? He has no problem but his mom do. She thinks I will end up using her son and believe me that is not my intention. Any advice?

Is a 4 year dating difference bad for an 12 year old [ 4 Answers ]

I am 11 turning 12 very soon and a just turned 16 year old likes me and likes me to... pretty soon we will be dating... if he tries to pull anything mor then holding handds and kissing then thts going to be the end of it... to me I don't think age matters and I'm not even aloud 2 date but I need to...

Need help with a 16 year old daughter dating a 22 year old man [ 44 Answers ]

My 16 year old daughter is dating a 22 year old man he lives next door and he is a bum he has no job and doesn't even leave his house only to sign on to get his benefits she was dating him when she was 15 and I thought I put a stop to it and as soon as she went 16 in April this year they got back...

Is illegal if a 15 year old and a 21 year old are dating but they never had sex? [ 6 Answers ]

Is illegal to a 15 year old and 21 year ols are dating but they don't have sex

View more questions Search