Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fztnh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 04:09 PM
    Form 843 for J-1
    I am a visiting scholar with J-1 visa from China. I got a short term salary, just three months from April to June in 2010. I meet the conditions for tax exemption for anyone with J-1 visa according to the agreement between U.S.A and China. I will apply to refund, but I don’t know how to do it. The questions are as follow:
    1. I was told to only fill the form 843 by a tax officer of our university. Is it enough? Should I not fill form 8843 plus form 1040?
    2. Can I use the form 843 for 2009 to apply? Because the new form 843 for 2010 is unavailable now. Whether I fill the form now is too early?
    3. My payroll shows that I have to pay three taxes including OASDI/Disability-EE, FICA Med Hospital Ins/EE and Withholding. Which one I can apply to refund?
    4. In addition to form 843, what other refund request documents need to be prepared? I have prepared the copy of passport, form DS2019, I94 and W4.
    5. I will be back my country in September this year. So can I write my post address of my country in the form 843? How long I can get the refund check?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 02:40 PM
    As a visiting scholar, you are exempt from ALL federal taxes (income, Social Security and Medicare), but are probably liable for state income tax (I cannot say for sure until you identify the state in which you worked). You must WAIT until 1 January 2011 before you can claim a refund for either the income tax or the FICA (Social Security and Medicare) tax.

In January, 2011, you will receive a W-2 from your U.S. employer. That W-2 form will be needed to file the Form 843 and 8316 (plus a number of support forms) to claim a refund for the FICA taxes.

For the Income Tax, you need to file Form 1040NR, Form 8843 and Form 8833 (to claim the treaty exemption).

All of these forms can be file from your home country.

MOST IMPORTANT: Keep you U.S. bank account OPEN! You will want to have that account in order to direct deposit the federal income tax refund.

Unfortunately, the FICA tax refund must be sent to you by check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 8223, form 8316 and form 843 for F-1 student (India) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an International student (from India) doing my MS in Computer Science in NY. I worked for a month on CPT in 2009 and I got a w-2 form from my employer recently. And I realized that my employer did withheld Medicare Tax and social Security Tax. And I asked him to refund the SS Tax and...

Completing form 843 [ 1 Answers ]

I am filling out the form 843 claim for refund and request for abatement. In line 5 b dates of payments , what should I write here ? Line 6 : indicate the type of return filed to which the tax, interest, penalty,. Do they mean the original form which is in my case 1040 ? Or what ? In line 7 :...

NR form 843 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am Indian (NR) and have been on OPT between 25 sep 2006- 25 sep 2007, H1b starting oct 2007. A few questions: 1. For 2006 , I should have filed 1040-NR. I did not and neglected it thinking I was only getting a return anyway. Is that a big offense? 2. For 2007 , I should be filing...

Form 843 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I wanted to clarify a question about filing Form 843 for refund of medicare and social security taxes. I was a student on OPT from start of 2007 to Sep 30, 2007. From Oct 1st my H1b started. How can I compute the amount for refund? Will it be all right to look into the pay slips I got...

Received my W2c. Which form to fill - form 843 or 1040x? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was deducted social security and medicare taxes by my employer in the year 2006. Now, since I was under student Visa (F1) at the time of employment, I was not supposed to have been taxed the SS and medicare taxes. I have already informed my company, and they have sent me the corrected W2...

View more questions Search