Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    don_1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 02:24 AM
    On car interior lights what controls the delay in turning off after doors are closed
    Coutesy lights, interior lights etc. in car do not turn off after doors are closed. What controls these?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2010, 03:10 AM
    On our's there is not only a dome light dimmer switch but also a dome light bypass button.Perhaps you have the bypass depressed and/or the dome light dimmer switch set to 'on' all the time,check those.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2010, 07:12 AM

What causes the delay is called a capacitor. Stored current that slowly releases.
    Today's cars now have a BCM (body control module).
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2010, 08:12 AM

Here is 1 circuit:
    Vehicle Interior Lighting With Switch-Off Delay Circuit Diagram
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2010, 08:21 AM

In the diagram, C1 is the capacitor that kitch428 referred to.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2010, 08:55 AM

Actually a Large capacitor across an LED by itself, can work. The additional components allow it to handle a larger load without draing down the capacitor.

Jul 30, 2010, 02:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KBC View Post
    On our's there is not only a dome light dimmer switch but also a dome light bypass button.Perhaps you have the bypass depressed and/or the dome light dimmer switch set to 'on' all the time,check those.
    I had checked that,but thank you.
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2010, 05:03 AM

You could have a bad door switch.
    I had a friend who had a Navigator and the interior lights stayed on, it didn't have pin switches, they were concealed in the door. It woud have been hard to determine as the light stayed on. I rolled down the windows and opened each door, and each but 1 had a small chime, the one that didn't was the bad door switch?
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2010, 08:01 AM

Your sentence cut off.
    Even though on this vehicle lights don't go out till all door are closed, each individual door chimes individually, even though another door is open.

Aug 2, 2010, 03:13 AM

Biua
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2010, 06:54 AM

Biua? Buss Interface Unit, Audio?
    What is BIUA?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling fan turning and the lights are turning [ 1 Answers ]

For some reason the lights are turning alone with the fan? Actually spinning on the shaft. I have black, white and ground wire from the ceiling and a blue, black and white wire from the ceiling fan. I'm connecting the blue, black from the ceiling fan to the black from the ceiling and the white from...

Interior Room-3 Doors-3 Light Switches? [ 2 Answers ]

I am wiring a renovated interior room that will not be used as a kitchen, bathroom, utlity room and does not have an exterior-access door. This room has 3 doors. I believe I am required by code to have a light switch at every door - is this correct? Thanks!

Painting or staining of trim for interior doors [ 2 Answers ]

First, I am NOT Harold, but his wife, Shirley. We are painting our dining room after removing wallpaper. The 2 doors going into the dining room were trimmed with Capital Hill casing & rosettes at the top corners. This trim was painted white. The door between the kitchen & dining room was not...

Any tips for painting interior doors with semi gloss? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been painting my interior trim and doors with semi gloss paint. I really like the look of the high gloss white for trim, but it was such a pain in the arse to use. It gets so tacky so fast! I was hoping that the semi gloss would be better... but no luck. It's really not that big a...

Interior lights [ 1 Answers ]

My interior lights on a 2000 grand marquis will not shut off any ideas?

View more questions Search