Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tlcrosser Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 10:48 PM
    We just had new plumbing, faucets, shower and shut off valves installed in an upstair
    The hot water heater is heating water, we had a new hot water shut off valve installed at the hot water heater. No hot water in the kitchen or bathroom. If we turn on hot water on in the bathroom we then will get hot water in the kitchen (not hot water comes out in bathroom). We also currently have a bathroom down stairs that all water is shut of in while it is being remodeled. The hot water repair guy says it's a plumbing issue and the plumber says it's a hot water tank issue. Help! Also if turn of hotwater shut off valve at shower should the cold water continue to run?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2010, 02:05 AM

Suspect an inadvertent or intentional cross conncet somewhere. Could be single lever cartridge installed backwards or hot/cold reversed.

Turn off the hot/cold shut offs at all the single lever fixtures. See if everything else functions correctly.
    Then start adding single lever fixtures and again see if things function correctly. Suspect is shower valve.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 04:15 AM

You say you had a new valve installed on the water heater.
    You imply that you have other plumbing work going on.

Installing a valve should change nothing (unless the valve is turned off).

At the water heater, cold water comes in, is heated and comes out hot. If I had a plumber tell me that what you describe was a water heater tank issue I would get a new plumber.

And yes, if you turn off the hot at the shower, you will still get cold water at the shower.

What is a hot water repair guy?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 06:18 AM

Hi all...

Actually, if you are getting cold water from the shower when the hot water has been shut off to the shower valve then you have most likely found the problem cartridge causing your issue(s).

Here, with all single handle shower valves manufactured for years now, the valves are temperature and pressure-balanced.

That means that if you are showering and have a drop in cold water pressure by say someone flushing a toilet in another bathroom, for example, you will have a corresponding drop in hot water pressure at the shower valve... this way people can't get scaled/burned (hence the valve being called an ANTI-SCALD valve). That also means that if you have no hot water getting to the shower that the valve will respond by shutting down the cold water flow to a trickle!

Have the plumber check the shower valve anti-scald cartridge... most likely culprit!

Mark
    tlcrosser Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2010, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the help we had another plumber out and the problem was in the bathroom still being worked on. When the new shower plumbing was installed the cartridge was not installed which caused the entire house not to get hot water. Once the cartridge was installed in the Delta fixture all was well. A hot water guy is the repair service man from sears.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 04:58 PM

Thanks for the update... glad to hear you are up and running!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need a diagram of the plumbing of the shower knobs and faucets [ 3 Answers ]

The post that the screw goes into in the cold water shower knob continues to turn both ways and no water comes out of the faucet.

Why is my upstair shower leaking? [ 7 Answers ]

We just noticed that our upstair shower is leaking. It happens when we are using the shower.. it seems like is all the water is running out to the next floor. Please help us!

My cold water doesn't work in my upstair shower [ 2 Answers ]

My cold water doesn't run in my upstairs shower. The sink and toilet has cold water but my shower doesn't. Help!

According to Ohio plumbing code, can a valve be installed to shut off a thermal expan [ 1 Answers ]

I have been told on a number of occasions that you can not place a shutoff valve in front of a thermal expansion tank on a hot water heater. However I cannot find that specified in the 2005 code. If you know where that is stated in the code could you please give reference number. Thank you

Plumbing back to back shower valves [ 5 Answers ]

I am plumbing 2 showers that share a wall (back to back). In order to get the hot and cold supplies to the proper side of each valve requires lots of twists and turns. I was advised by someone to just use ½” male threaded connectors on the supply lines (sweat fit to copper) and then simply use...

View more questions Search