Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brimom Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 06:45 PM
    What to do when a pipe has been snaked and still overflows
    We have snaked the clean out drain with a hand held snake that attaches to a drill and a bigger power snake. We now have the cover off the drain so that when the water back up sone can go out there intead of overflowing the pipe that the washer drains in. When the water does come out of the drain outside there is a think black gel that is coming out too. Is there anything more we can do? Should we try Drano or something similar or are we going to have to call a plumber? Please Help
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 07:19 PM

Hi Brimom...

City/town sewer or septic system? Let me know as a lot depends on that. If septic system how long since you were pumped out?

What fixtures cause the backup... all or just one?

Next question in line... Is the washing machine the lowest drain in the house? If so, then I suspect the MAIN DRAIN may be clogged.

What size snake are you using? For a main drain you should be using an electric machine with a 1/2" cable or larger... see image. You can rent these at any local tool rental store. Be sure to purchase some leather gloves and goggles for your own safety!

If not the main drain and a specific fixture is involved let me know more.

Any questions.. Let us know.

Mark
    Attached Images

Jul 25, 2010, 07:29 PM

We have city water so sewer. We used what I think is a 1/2 in cable. The washing machine drain is not the lowest drain. Our kitchen sink drain is after the washing machine. Drain out that we are snaking is not the main line. Should we try to snake that one too. There is also a city labeled cleanout in the alley behind my house that line direstly up with my main line clean out. Is the black gel a bad sign?

Jul 25, 2010, 09:29 PM

I just wanted to add that the pipe is overflowing at the washing machine drain even with the outside drain cover off and not much water coming out of the outside drain. Only the washing machine backs up.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 10:45 PM

Small snake that attaches to drill is not adequate to clean sewer. You will need at least 5/8" snake with Cutting Knife attachment that corresponds with size of the pipe you are trying to snake...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HELP! After new washing machine installed, drain pipe overflows! [ 10 Answers ]

Just bought Maytag, top load washer. After the wash cycle, as the water is draining, the water will come back over the drain pipe and over flow onto the floor. HOWEVER, it doesn't do this every time. Sometimes it will drain after the wash and not overflow, but then after the rinse cycle, as the...

New washer overflows drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I replaced an old washing machine that drained with no problem into my wall drain pipe. When the new washer was hooked up, the drain pipe could not handle the volume of water and overflows. If I put the washer on slow setting, it drains fine. I had a plumber out to check and see if I had any...

After new washing machine installed, drain pipe overflows! [ 4 Answers ]

HELP! After new washing machine installed, drain pipe overflows! We used a clog buster on it. Opened the cleanout while doing it and water was flowing good through it. But just as soon as the washer starts to drain, it spurts water all over, when you shut the water off, you can here it rushing...

Water from Sink Overflows from Dishwasher Pipe [ 1 Answers ]

My kitchen sick was clogged, so I used liquid plumber and a plunger to unstop. Now after a few moments when I run water in the sink, water overflows from a dishwasher connection. The dishwasher connection is a big u-shaped pipe with a skinny copper pipe sticking out from it. The copper pipe is...

Washer stand pipe occasionally overflows [ 1 Answers ]

There doesn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason to this happening except that it seems to occur when we either run a very large load or if we happen to run a small load of laundry but still had the water level set for high or extra-high. However, it doesn't overflow every time this situation...

View more questions Search