Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sianni25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 10:23 AM
    In a classic study of infant attachment, Harlow (1959) placed infant monkeys in cages
    In a classic study of infant attachment, Harlow (1959) placed infant monkeys in cages with two artificial surrogate mothers. One “mother” was made from bare wire mesh and contained a baby bottle from which the infants could feed. The other mother was made from soft terry cloth and did not provide any access to food.. Harlow observed the infant monkeys and recorded how much time per day was spent with each mother. In a typical day, the infants spent a total of 18 hours clinging to one of the two mothers. If there were no preference between the two, you would expect the time to be divided evenly, with an average of μ = 9 hours for each of the mothers. However, the typical monkey spent around 15 hours per day wit the terry cloth mother, indicating a strong preference for the soft, cuddly mother. Suppose a sample of n = 9 infant monkeys averaged M= 15.3 hours per day with SS = 216 with the terry cloth mother. Is this result sufficient to conclude that the monkeys spent significantly more time with the softer mother than would be expected if there were no preference? Use a two-tailed test with alpha level = .05
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2010, 10:36 AM

Is this homework? I would assume so. I don't even see this as a question about math.

What do YOU think?
    Sianni25 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 04:00 PM

The question is in the last part of the sentence.

Is this result sufficient to conclude that the monkeys spent significantly more time with the softer mother than would be expected if there were no preference? Use a two-tailed test with alpha level = .05

It is a statistics question

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mother leaves infant with friend, grandfather has had the infant in his care for over [ 3 Answers ]

A mother leaves infant with friend, grandfather has been the primary care giver for over a month now. The mother was not providing adequate care to the infant, she was feeding the infant watered down formula and living in an automobile. The infant was neglected and malnurished. In the...

Infant feedings [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 6 month old daughter, when can she start having juices and do I dilute it?

Custody of an infant [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 23 year old daughter who has a 5 month old baby, until 2 days ago she lived with the father of the child. They are not married and he decided to leave the relationship. He took off and left her with no money, no gas in her car, and not even a see you later. They lived in a house that my...

View more questions Search