Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    don_1 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 03:14 AM
    With a small weedeater with Zama Carburettor choke has to be left on for it to run.Ha
    I have a liteweight weedeater with Zama carb. Was flooding and have fitted new kit with diaphram. Now starts but cannot be taken off full choke. Any Ideas. Thanks. Don
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 11:52 AM

Hi,
    If it had a silver screen at the metering needle, it needs to be replaced with the copper-colored one(pump side.) The lever operting the needle should be flush with the metal on each side of it(metering side.)
    Peace,
    Clarke

Jul 30, 2010, 02:26 AM

Biua

Jul 30, 2010, 02:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by crigby View Post
    Hi,
    If it had a silver screen at the metering needle, it needs to be replaced with the copper-colored one(pump side.) The lever operting the needle should be flush with the metal on each side of it(metering side.)
    Peace,
    Clarke
    Thank you for that and followed. Carb. Also cleaned thoroughly with high pressure air. However now operates with choke a small amount open and will rev quite well and is useable. I believe as a last resort a plg of some sort can be drilled out for thorough cleaning. Appears plug is not round and may be difficult to obtain here. Hs anyone any more ideas? Thanks, Don
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Jul 30, 2010, 10:02 AM

Hi,
    Compressed air is not the best solution for cleaning as it wreaks havoc on modern diaphragm carbs, specifically the check valves in the jets on the metering side.
    What I will now relate may seem farfetched, but is a proven method. You will need a spray can of carb cleaner and one of lubricant(WD40, CRC, etc.)
    With the metering side open(the side with the diaphragm with the metal disc), spray the carb cleaner into all the orfices. There are check valves in there though you cannot see them. Then spray in the lubricant. This will wash the acetone, etc. from the check valves and insure proper operation.
    Do not recommend removing that oval or triangular Welch plug unless absolutely necessary as it takes a special tool to install the replacement and special sealing adhesive.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Aug 11, 2010, 02:56 AM

Biua

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weedeater only runs with full choke [ 2 Answers ]

I recently pulled my weedeater out of the shed after a long winter. I gased it up and was able to start it with the full choke on. The problem is as soon as I try and take it out of the full choke position the engine dies. I've ran it for about 5 to 10 minutes in the full choke position but every...

Featherlite Weedeater won't run except on full choke [ 2 Answers ]

I've had a Featherlite Weedeater for a year. When I tried to start it this summer, it will only run on full choke. When I try to put it on run, it shuts down immediately. Has anyone had this problem or know why this is happening? I changed out the old gas with new.

Rototiller will run in choke but dies in run. [ 6 Answers ]

I have a MTB 5hp Rototiller, and when I have it in choke it runs fine, but drop it in to run and dies... Any help appreciated. Thanks! =)

View more questions Search