Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    poppycorn Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 12:39 AM
    Should dogs with thick fur get shaved when groomed?
    My dog is a sheltie/tibetan spaniel mix. He has thick fur. During the summer I take him to a groomer and let her shave him. His haircut is quite short. I do this because he seems hot and his fur grows back fast. However, he hates it. He will act strangely for days after. Currently he is hiding in our truck and only comes out to eat. After every haircut, he will dig into my carseat on the ride home. He'll run around strangely. I was wondering if dogs with thick fur have more sensitive skin and should not be shaved? Should I tell the groomer to only cut a little and leave about an inch of fur on?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2010, 03:19 AM

Do you have a photo of him in full coat (untrimmed)?

With double coated breeds leaving the hair on actually keeps them cooler in summer. Does he have sort of a soft wooly coat underneath and then harsher hair over the top?

You can also get products like thinning shears which you can use from home. They look like a pair of scissors but have little teeth on them. They only cut where the gaps are making the coat thinner without taking it all off.

Furminators are also a good product, they remove all dead hair, a lot more than a brush ever could.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jul 25, 2010, 03:42 AM

Tibbies are supposed to have an undercoat, while Shelties don't. Which side does he take after? As Shazamataz says, the undercoat helps them stay cooler in the summer. Thinning might be your best option and less traumatic.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2010, 11:28 AM

I would also question the groomer.. Going to the spa shouldn't be that traumatic.

Some groomers are real good with dogs. Others man handle them.

Does your dog get out much? That could possibly help. I don't think dogs freak out if their hair is cut off.
    poppycorn Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 03:42 PM

Thank you very much for all your help. Appreciate it. My dog does not have an undercoat. However, I think next time I won't have him shaved. I am planning to change groomers and talk to the new one ahead of time. I will ask for a thinning of his fur, rather than shaving. The shaving really seems to traumatize him. At first I thought he had sensitive skin but now I think it's more psychological for some reason. Anyway thanks for all your help!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2010, 08:49 PM

A lot of dogs really hate the clippers, they are noisy and blow air out the top of them which can freak them out.

It could be the dryer as well that's scaring him. Most groomers use big industrial dryers that are high powered. A lot also crate dry their dogs, meaning they get put in a cage with the dryer facing them... I don't like this method as it can be stressful for them.

To make it less stressful you could bath and dry him from home and just take him in to get his fur trimmed... would save you some money too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Thick children's book with short stories,one w/dogs party, one with boy inventor [ 2 Answers ]

I had a thick book as a kid, it was big too, bigger than an A4 sheet of paper, and it was full of illustrations and different short stories. There was one where different types of dogs were all rushing to attend a party. And there was one where a boy invented many different gadgets including a...

(1)well-groomed, (2) feed up & 3 (patient) [ 1 Answers ]

A blonde and a brunette were in an elevator. On their way down, a handsome man entered. The girls immediately noticed that he was pretty cute, but unfortunately he had dandruff. On the way off the elevator the two girls let the man go ahead of them. The brunette turned to the blonde And...

Getting a Dog Groomed [ 4 Answers ]

How much does it normally cost to get a dog groomed?

How can I get chweing gum out of my dogs fur? [ 9 Answers ]

Hey my dog accidentally got chewing gum in its fur is there any way I can get it out thanks

View more questions Search