Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stargazerall Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 11:42 AM
    Repair of hole in large tree trunk
    Hello, I live in deep south Texas. I have read several comments about using Rocktite expanding cement and asphalt for filling/repairing holes in trees. I have an Ash tree with several trunks that has started with a hole from where a limb had been cut off. It is about 8" x 12" and has a colony of ants living in it. Can the same materials be used to fill/repair it? I have already lost one of my large Ash due to the same problem starting in the crook of two trunks. This one is in a very large trunk and I hate to loose it, big trees are not that common down here. Thanks for any input.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2010, 04:40 PM

HI:

I'm currently thinking about your problem. Is it possible for you to take and post a pic? See go advanced/manage attachments.

One question is just how much of a structural repair is this?
    I'm thinking drilled holes with rebar welded in place. Fire extinguisher handy. Like drill top, drill bottom. Weld rebar side to side.

I'm also thinking using rock and reinforcement screening like used for concrete.

Rockite has no "t". I'll have to review the datasheet.

Without having experience and I might even suggest practicing on a vertical 2x 8 with a large hole like 4" and a plate nailed to the back.

One of the hard parts will be creating a form. It has to be depressed from the surface, probably around 1/4" or about the active growing area.

What I'm thinking you can do is get some 1/4" stiff screen and make a few furring strips. Also get some teflon sheet (really thin). I have a source for I think 12" wide stuff.

You can build these in sections ready to bolt in place. I'd take some carpet thread and sew the teflon into the form. Say you made 3 of these.

Tack the bottom one with the furring strip. Mix enough to fill this section. Add the next section (already formed) with the furring strips. Finally add the last section. Might have a 2" hole or so in it. Then wrap something to hold the teflon in place.

The form should remove without sticking.

This stuff flows, so it won't stay in place being that thick.

And as you have read, you have to kill the ants, clean the rotten wood from the inside and keep it dry.

Your repair also has to not allow water to collect and be such that the tree will try to repair itself naturally.

I took some pics of my repairs and you may motivate me to make a sticky.

Think about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple tree - repair of hole in trunk [ 26 Answers ]

My Manitoba maple tree has a trunk about seven feet high, at which point it splits into three limbs extending upwards. At the point where it splits there is a large bowllike hole (filled with mushy rot). Can this tree be repaired by filling this cavity with something like cement or asphalt?

After a large maple tree limb was removed to the tree, the area is rotting. Is it OK [ 3 Answers ]

We have a large beautiful maple tree in the center of our back yard. Several years ago the local power came through and cut one of the large limbs close to the power line clear to the tree itself. Since then in the years since, the spot has rotted and is not receding into the tree mostly because...

Oak tree hollow trunk & limb repair [ 2 Answers ]

I have several Oak trees with a hollow spot that might cause it to break and fall. These trees are in an area around my house that are key locations one being the main shade over my deck. Removal is going to be my last resort. Has anyone had success repiring a problem like this? Thanks.

How to repair large hole in tree trunck [ 2 Answers ]

How do I repair a large hole in an Oak tree trunk? Do I fill it with something or just leave nature to heal its self? I would hate to lose the tree. It appears to be have been done by a woodpecker. A very large, deep hole about 6 inches tall by 3 wide. About 8 foot off the ground. Thanks...

Inground Pool Liner- Large Hole Repair [ 3 Answers ]

When opening our 9 year old inground pool this year, we found a large horizontal tear in one corner of the deep end. The tear is about 3-4 feet wide. Can we repair this tear rather than investing in the purchase and installation of a new liner? I am envisioning something like a 4-by-4 foot sheet...

View more questions Search