Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allieh06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 10:13 AM
    My boyfriend has PTSD and refuses to get professional help for it
    My boyfriend and I have been together for nearly a year, he was in the Marines and has been deployed to Iraq twice. He saw some horrible things and now has PTSD. He is very angry, emotional and has even been physically violent with me. He refuses to get help from a psychologist and he refuses to take any kind of medications. How can I convince him to go see someone and get him the help he needs while still protecting myself?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2010, 10:16 AM

Stop seeing him ( or move out if living with him) until he has been in treatment for a while.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2010, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Allieh06 View Post
    My boyfriend and I have been together for nearly a year, he was in the Marines and has been deployed to Iraq twice. He saw some horrible things and now has PTSD. He is very angry, emotional and has even been physically violent with me. He refuses to get help from a psychologist and he refuses to take any kind of medications. How can I convince him to go see someone and get him the help he needs while stil protecting myself?
    Leaving for a while would take the 'need' to protect yourself out of the picture.

He has been violent with you?Why are you still there?

Truth is,you can't make him do anything,you can't change him,you aren't powerful enough, none of us are.Only HE can make the change.

Read this site: Setting Personal Boundaries - protecting self and you can see what we are talking about.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PTSD getting the better of me [ 5 Answers ]

I'm a combat vet. I have PTSD. When I first came home I was cold to the bone. I couldn't feel anything for anyone. Then I started lashing out at family members and others. Saying hurtful things when they bothered me. I thought I was getting better at one point, I had a good job and I was...

My boyfriend refuses to be intimate in any way.. [ 5 Answers ]

I've been with my boyfriend for two years, we are currently engaged and have a one year old daughter. When we first met, he had a girlfriend whom I was unaware of. He left her to be with me, which caused a crap load of drama. Keep her in mind.. because she plays a role further down the road in my...

My boyfriend refuses to speak to me or see me [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for over 3 years. We met in college but for the last year we've been living about 200 miles apart which has definitely been a strain. 3 weeks ago my father passed away and it was very hard on me, I was always "daddy's little girl". My boyfriend was there for me...

Can't leave suicidal, bipolar, PTSD boyfriend [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 5 years now. When we first started dating, he was very honest with me about his mental health problems, and he was in therapy and on medication. After two years together, we moved to a new city. Since then, everything's gone downhill. He started...

Roommates boyfriend refuses to leave [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so here is the situation. Last week my roomates boyfriend went psycho on me, threatened to kick my or even kill me and just lost his temper in a major way. I left the house for 5 days and cooled off and made a decision that the boyfriend, who is not on the lease and does not contribute to...

View more questions Search