Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zigemyster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2010, 09:48 AM
    Daughters ex-boyfriend will not allow her to remove her property from their home.
    After several years of living together in TN my daughter left her boyfriend, June 2010. During those years I loaned her furniture and during this time she lost her great-great Aunt, recently her Grandmother and Great-Grandfather in which items were left for her. When she left her boyfriend due to stress and his childish temper tantrums to have a few days to think... he told her that she could leave her stuff there and when she was ready and able to remove them that he would allow her to do so.

They talked over the past month and all seemed OK and now he refuses to allow her to get anything and when I have tried to contact him he ignores me. Actually I wanted to talk to him however my daughter asked me not to as he said if her family got involved that he would not allow her to get anything of hers. Therefore I watched from the sidelines until now.

What are her/my rights?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2010, 06:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zigemyster View Post
    What are her/my rights?
    Hello z:

You have no rights. She can sue him. If the amount isn't much more than $5,000, I'd sue in small claims court.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2010, 06:55 AM

Your daughter is right you need to stay out of it. And as excon said, you have no rights nor standing here.

The first thing she needs to do is make a list of everything that she feels she owns. She needs to make this list as detailed as possible. If she has any pictures that would be helpful.

Armed with this list and proof that she lived there, she can try going to the police and telling them, that he has refused to release her belongings. Its possible they will accompany her (if she needs to, she should rent a truck, if she doesn't have anyplace to store the stuff now, rent a storage locker) to pick up her things.

If they won't do that, then the next step would be to send a letter from an attorney stating that he needs to allow her to recover her belongings or she will file suit. Stating also that he needs to contact her within a set time frame to arrange an appointment to get her things.

If that doesn't work, then she will need to file suit and follow through.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What to do with my daughters loser boyfriend [ 7 Answers ]

Help my 16 year old daughter has a 3 time loser boyfriend. The first time she broke up with him because he was tryign to force her to have sex, the second time she broke up when I caught her emailing nude pictures to him. I called the plice etc... and she said she was done with him even after he...

Daughters boyfriend [ 6 Answers ]

Hi,I have a problem,I let my daughter move in a couple of months ago and she has a 1yr old and is having another baby in Feb,Anyhow,I had to move my son's bed into the living room and give her and the baby his upstairs bedroom.Now her boyfriend is threating that he is going to take the baby and...

How do I get my daughters boyfriend out of my house? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter lives in a home that my husband and I own. We do not make her pay rent. She is responsible for the electric and the water bills. When she moved we told her not to move any other people in with her. We told her she could have visitors, but no live ins. We found out that she has...

Daughters ex-boyfriend won't leave her alone [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is 17 and her ex-boyfriend keeps calling and texting her (she does not answer). Now he is spreading awful rumors about her and is calling the new boyfriend to tell him of the rumors. Does she have any legal rights to stop this dirt-bag and get him to leave her alone? She just wants to...

Ex-Boyfriend Will Not Remove his Personal Property [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriend moved out of my apt. Sept. 21, 2006 and went back to Florida (I live in Columbus, Ohio.) I have since moved into a new place. This doesn't have anything to do with rent/lease/etc, but I have all of his stuff in a box in the basement. Do I have to act as a landlord would and keep it...

View more questions Search