Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DonnyMack Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2010, 03:34 PM
    Can a hard drive from a Compaq laptop fit in a Dell Laptop?
    So here's the thing, I own a Compaq laptop and my screen broke. So instead of buying a new screen, I'm getting a Dell laptop from a friend because his hard drive went out and he doesn't want it anymore. So I want to swap the hard drive from my compaq with the one in the dell. Will it work?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 23, 2010, 03:37 PM
    Yes, but you'll need to reinstall the Operating System due to hardware changes.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2010, 06:24 PM

As mentioned, would need to get drivers for the machine you are installing it to and need to make sure the drives are same type. Probably both are IDE hard drives but need to make sure they are. Make sure the drive has the same connection as one replacing as there are the SATA drives and IDE drives. If both same type drives, should not be an issue other than drivers which you should be able to get from dell's website with the model #

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to format my laptop compaq c drive nx6120 [ 3 Answers ]

How to format my laptop when DVD ROM are properly not working.

COMPAQ Laptop compatible CD/DVD drive required [ 1 Answers ]

I have a COMPAQ Presario 2200 model centrino processor 256 MB 15" Screen laptop. By default it had come with Toshiba DVD/ CD-RW Combo drive. Due to its location on laptop at right bottom side during operation its BUS cable is cut. As per vendor drive has to be replaced. In this scenario I request...

Dell Laptop Latitude (Primary Hard Drive 0 Not Found) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I am new at this Ask Me Help Desk! My friend Suzy said I should try this. OK I got this comp. from a friend of mine & it was working fine for about 6MO. Then I turned it on one day and this came up. (Primary hard disk drive 0 not found No bootable device(s) selected strike F1 to retry boot,...

Compaq laptop Hard Drive won't load windows xp [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Compaq 3015us laptop that's acting up. Upon start up the compaq splash screen comes up as it should then then the computer runs bios and the next screen asks which boot device I would like to use, Hard Drive (C), CD Rom (D) or Floopy Drive (A), and its never done that before. The...

Upgrading DVD drive for Compaq laptop [ 5 Answers ]

Anyone tried upgrading Compaq laptop DVD ROM to DVD R/W? I have COMPAQ Presario 2100 which came with DVD ROM attached. I tried opening the bottom cover but I can't lift the cover ajar more than a 1/2 inch. Without opening the case, is there an easy way to take out the DVD ROM and replace it?

View more questions Search