Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scorpio222 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2010, 11:36 AM
    % of Taxes owed by OPT student?(F-1 status)
    What is the % of taxes owed by an OPT student who is currently in F-1 visa and not in H-1. I understand that OPT student need not pay SSN or medicare taxes.

1. So is there any tool online to find out what % of tax withheld from an opt student. If not, then how much would be the approx % withheld?

2. Will the % withheld increase if the earnings are more than 70K?

3. If H-1 is sponsored, then how much will be held including SSN and medicare tax.

Would appreciate if the % are shown separately, like federal - X%, ga tax- Y%, SSN -Z%.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 23, 2010, 01:17 PM
    1 & 2) It is solely dependent on the withholding tables in Circular E, which is dependent on the level of income.

3) Social Security is 6.2%; Medicare is 1.45%
    scorpio222 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2010, 01:06 PM

Can you please provide a link as to see how much % is taxed for so and so income? Where can I get 'the withholding tables in Circular E' ?

If not, what is the % withheld for 60K, 65K and for 70K. Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 26, 2010, 07:34 AM
    You can get a copy of Circular E from Internal Revenue Service.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 27, 2010, 05:16 AM

On F-1 you are exempt from residency for 5-years; must file nonresident tax return and are exempt from SS tax and Medicare tax.
    On H-1 your days in the U.S. are not exempt from from residency. You will pay all the taxes just like U.S. citizens and residents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax calculation for student on F1(OPT) status opt H1 status. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am foreign student on F1 status doing OPT in US. I opted H1B status on October 2009. I am working with same employer from 01 Jan 09 - 30 Sep 09 on F1-OPT status. Later I continued on H1B status with same employer from 01 Oct 09. My employer has deducted FICA from my pay since 01 Jan...

F-1 Student (OPT Status) - Indian Tax Requirement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently working in US on OPT period under the F-1 Visa Category. I am paying whatever taxes I am supposed to pay in US(except Social Security and medicare). I was not sure about whether I have to file my taxes back in India as well ? If I have to file the taxes in India then based on...

OPT-H1 Dual Status Taxes and Student loan interest [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, Just a quick question regarding my taxes. I have pretty much everything set but something is confusing me and I thought I should double check before I mail in my forms. I am a Pakistani nation and during the 2008 year, I was on F1 visa and working through my OPT with a firm in Iowa...

Tax status- student-OPT-H1-india [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Gurus, I came to US in July 2001 on F1.I have filed the 1040 NR and 8843 for tax years 2001-2005. I have been on CPT (still F1 but working for an employer outside university) from 2006 June until March 14th 2007. When I filed for taxes in 2007 for the year of 2006, I filed just the...

View more questions Search