Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carank Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2010, 01:13 AM
    Are all fish fats good for you?
    I just had some hapuka, and found some parts of the fish containing a thick layer of fat. Similar to a piece of pork chop!

I was wondering if some fish contains "bad" fats as well as "good" fats. And if its advice-able to avoid eating the thick fat layer in some fish.

Cheers.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2010, 05:52 AM
    Most fish is good for you. BUT what you have to worry about is the mercury. Almost all fish is contaminated with trace amounts of mercury.

Fish that contain the highest level of mercury are larger and older sharks, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish. It is probably a good idea for most people to avoid eating much of these fish. They can be replaced with other fish and shellfish such as shrimp, pollock, canned light tuna, salmon and catfish, which all contain much less mercury.

Besides mercury, fish can be a problem if it isn't prepared properly. Deep fried or served with a heavy, fat- and calorie-dense sauce will turn healthy fish into an unhealthy meal fast. So in other words learn to cook fish properly!

Wild Salmon, Herring, Rainbow Trout, Anchovies, Pacific Oysters and Sardines, where 4 ounces or less of these varieties will give you roughly 1gram of disease fighting and brain boosting omega 3's (the good fats).

If you want an easy way to boost your fish intake, but don't want to buy and cook fresh, remember that canned is inexpensive, easy to find and prepare. Remember however the importance of choosing the correct fish variety. Wild salmon is an excellent choice, "light or chunk" tuna is also good, but I would choose albacore and yellowfin tuna last due to their higher mercury levels.

Hope this helped!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will GOOD fats make me fat? [ 6 Answers ]

I started eating hemp hearts for breakfast and I feel I have been gaining weight! For the past few months, I am mostly vegetarian, eating only local beef in the summer months and free-range chicken seldom... an example of my daily food consumption is as follows: Breakfast: 1/2 cup Yogurt, 1/4 cup...

I have a 20 gallon fish tank and my fish are dying [ 6 Answers ]

I got a fish tank and evrything was good and my fish were having fish, and I just added water to the fish tank and just 2 days ago I notes that every time that I check my fish tank there are a lot of fish dead I want to know why?

Fish are dying. Again in fish tank. [ 3 Answers ]

Ph is high in this, the second try. All my fish died a few weeks ago, over night. Cleaned out tank and have introduced a few new fish. Now they have began to die. The ph is high, and I am trying to bring it down using peat moss this time. I have a coral rock in the tank. Could this be a problem...

The # of fish a fish tank can hold. [ 3 Answers ]

The number of tropical fish that an aquarium can hold depends on the volume of the fish tank. The interior dimensions of the fish tank below are 28 cm, 49 cm, and 52 cm. Each fish requires 10,000 cubic centimeters of water. How many tropical fish will this fish tank hold?

Fats for health [ 1 Answers ]

Please inform me about ALL of the good fats... so I know what to buy to inprove my health Age 58 Sex Male

View more questions Search