Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miss_h Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2003, 05:08 PM
    Lock and key
    ::)
    Hi can anyone help me to explain the lock and key mechanism of enzyme function. I also need to look at factors such as build up of toxins in the body, body temp or ph balance.
    Would be grateful for any help, thanks. Miss h
    nishant_yagnick Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2004, 07:22 PM
    Re: lock and key
    The lock and key mechanism of enzyme function is like this... the substrate as well as the enzyme both have specific structures.the substrate the fits into the same structure as the enzyme(wish I could give you a diag for understanding).they then in the attatched stage form the enzyme substrate complex.this undergoes a change, when the structure of substrate changes it can no longer "fit" into the grooves and structure of the enzyme, and hence detatches. The enzyme remains uncahnged.hence the enzymehas performed its function.its called lock and key because that's a metaphor for the substrate fitting into the enzyme like a lock and a key.(this was given by fischer)... altough, certain changes have been made in this theory. I suggest you look up the "induced fit" hypothesis as well.
    Toxins have a number of effects to inhibit enzymes... which are classified as competitive and non competitive... in short, either they compete with the substrate for the grooves of the enzymes, thereby reducing substrate breakdowm, or they attach to other points in the enzymes and inhibit the change of substrate, even if it does fit the enzyme... high temp(usually 60 degrees+) denature enzymes, low temp, render them inactive. PH changes can also have similar effects, depending on enzyme strucutre... usualy very high or low pH denatures enzymes..
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Jul 17, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Something in few words would be that it is all the game of complementarity

If good molecules have got complementarity with the good subtrates they will bind for sure and give positive and desired results.

If the badones have got complementarity with these enzymes then of course they will bind and produce undesired effects , for example disease and alergies.
    Well secondary products of these reactions do play an important role too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it an air lock? [ 4 Answers ]

I had a leaking isolator valve that is connected to my bath hot water tap, so I decided to change it. I turned-off the cold water mains and opened the hot water taps in the bathroom and kitchen to drain the system. I have the cold water tanks in the loft and the hot water cylinder in the bathroom....

Mouse and kboard lock [ 2 Answers ]

I have this prob. Many times specially when I play sounds or some graphics I had the prob that the mouse and the keyboard locked and I can do nothing to the PC except reseting it. Anyone knows a solution I have a HP OmniBook XE3 with windows XP 1.06 GHz

Plumbing Air Lock [ 1 Answers ]

Our water service was shut off for 3-4 hours. After it was turned back on several faucets, etc. had air in the lines. One shower valve only has cold water. When it is turned to "hot" there is no water as if there is a air lock in the hot water line. How do we vent/remove the air lock ?

How to do user lock on certain programs. [ 6 Answers ]

How would I lock certain files.. on different users... how would I lock file so no one else can access it ?

Air lock? [ 2 Answers ]

I am pumping water half a mile through 22mm pipework at mains pressure over a hill 20ft high and it then drops 60ft where the water comes out in at varying pressures and occasionally stops for a few seconds. Could this be caused by air trapped in the pipe at the top of the hill? The water runs...

View more questions Search