Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2006, 12:40 PM
    How to board and batton a house?
    How do I install vertical board and batton wood siding on the exterior of my house? Anyone know of a good website that shows a DIY'er finishing this project?

Thanks, Knucklez

Jan 1, 2008, 11:34 AM
    Anyone? Been a year, surely there is someone that knows a good website with DIY instructions.

I am looking for tips on applying house wrap with sheath tape, house strap and apply board and batton. For example, painting these boards, type of wood, type of screws to use. How to make sure the boards go on straight etc.

Knucklez
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2008, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklez
    how do i install vertical board and batton wood siding on the exterior of my house? anyone know of a good website that shows a DIY'er finishing this project?

thx, Knucklez
    Well not a web site.

I live in a converted barn with board and batton siding.

I bought 7/8" rough sawn southern yellow pine, cut off 1 1/2" and made batton from it(In a table shaper) and covered the entire outside of the building.

What are you asking? Installation on a barn is,nailing the board as well as batton to the girts/angle bracing/posts and beams/where ever it will take a nail to attach.

A pole building is a little different being you have a lot more areas to nail to.

Nailing to siding board leaving a space of,say,1 inch allows airflow(typical of farming/agricultural applications) then the batton is applied over the opening to close off the area so as to keep weather from directly hitting the interior structure.

Does this answer your post?

I can be reached via PM or my Yahoo e-mail,

Ken

Jan 8, 2008, 07:30 PM
    Don't know what I'm really asking.. I guess just general information. As I learn more about it I can ask more intelligent questions :)

My house is stucco. Over horizontal pine plank. So I wonder, do I need to remove the stucco first? Or can I just board/batton over the stucco?

House wrap, how to do this. Any special tricks? Stuff like that.
    DDFrench Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2008, 10:52 AM
    Hi, Here is a web site that might help give you some information re Board and Batten, if it's not too late! Good Luck.

Homeowner: How to Make Perfect Board and Batten Siding

May 6, 2008, 04:47 PM
    No it is not too late at all. I'm still collecting information.

From that website I read this which was news to me
    "The battens are not nailed to the boards. Instead, the nails go through the gaps between the boards and into the furring strips. This lets the boards flex, and it also reduces the chance that the nails will split the wood either of the boards or of the battens."

Huh...
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2008, 04:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Knucklez
    no it is not too late at all. i'm still collecting information.

from that website i read this which was news to me
    "The battens are not nailed to the boards. Instead, the nails go through the gaps between the boards and into the furring strips. This lets the boards flex, and it also reduces the chance that the nails will split the wood either of the boards or of the battens."

huh...
    OK

Think of this, the siding is nailed to a grouping of furring strips which run horizontally.

The battens are ONLY nailed to the furring strips,NOT to the board siding,this allows the siding to expand and contract as it needs to.

I hope this helps,

KBC

May 16, 2008, 06:26 PM
    I got lots of great info from the public library. "fine homebuilding on Exterior Finishing" is one book. Also Google books had a book by black & decker that had good info.

From research I learned how to nail boards to allow contract/expand, how to measure and space boards so you get full board on the end and so it looks even around windows (you probably want your battens to be even spaced around windows). How to flash windows/door and how to build out the jambs. Long runs of vertical wood that require more than 1 board should have 45. Cuts so that water runs away from crack.

I also learned that it is good time to put 0.5" blue foam rated for exterior wall, some house wrap over that and then tuct tape.

I'm almost ready to rock and roll with this project! Did I miss anything?

Knucklez

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaving the Board [ 65 Answers ]

Due to some people on here my replies will be given to those who wish to ask me a question via an email address, My time is given to help those who genuinley need advise and help and not those who want to waste time with petty comment on others answers. Sorry for any inconvienience this may cause...

Hi ,new to board advice please [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I posted this on one of the health forums but am hoping some of you here may be able to offer me some further advice. Since having 4 children (2 to first husband and two with current husband) I feel totally embaressed of my body. I have severe stretch marks abd loose skin and my breasts sag....

Barn board [ 1 Answers ]

I have ugly dark barn board on the lower half of my basement walls in my rec room. Can you paint these and if so do you have to have special paint for this. I'm not sure paint would even cover all the crevices and nooks in the wood. Any ideas?

View more questions Search