Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmpenrod Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2010, 06:31 PM
    best way to attach exterior wood sheating
    I am building a shed and want to side it in plywood that is 5/8th in thick with routed board effect, 4x8 sheets. I want to run the panels horizontally, not vertically. There is an overlapping joint (not tongue and groove). Do I need to put anything between the sheets of plywood where they meet. Flashing? Glue? Caulking? What kind of fastener?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 08:53 PM
    You are opening yourself up to a bevy of problems by running the sheets sideways.

Yes,you would need a z-channel between the lower and upper sheets.but that's just the half of it.

The sheets would be sideways,making the end grains on an up and down plane.How to make a 100% seal there is beyond me,the expansion and contraction of any wood would make this difficult at best.The end grains are where moisture wicks into the sheeting the most.

Length of the building,how many overlaps.all play a part in how difficult this could all be.

Fastening any exterior plywood,I use twist nails(siding section, galvanized) or boxed siding nails(galvanized)
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 24, 2010, 11:15 AM

You need rabbit joints. You need a rabbit on the front side of one end and one side. You need a rabbit on the back side of the other end and the other side. This will give overlapping joints. Rabbits should be 5/16" deep (half the thickness) and 3/4" wide All joints, including the horizontal ones, must fall on a stud. Silicone all joints. Nail with galvanized finish nails.

Because you are in effect shorting the 4x8 plywood by 3/4", you must allow for this when placing studs.
    manhattan42 Posts: 143, Reputation: 11

Jul 25, 2010, 06:42 AM

KBC is correct.

Sounds like you have T1-11 siding which is not designed to be run horizontally.

Either run it vertically or you will have nothing but problems.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you attach a wood strip to corian? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm replacing my kitchen cabinet cutting board with corian. I want to take the oak trim from the old cutting board and attach it to the new corian cutting board.

What brand of Exterior Wood Stain is best for Humid Climate [ 3 Answers ]

I live south of Buffalo, NY and have sided a house with Hemlock board & batten with Cedar shakes on the peaks. Since the climate is considered cool & wet (outside of summer) I would like to know which brand of stain would be best. I have used Flood CWF in the past & was hoping to not have to recoat...

Best way to attach wood top plate to ICF wall [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I am the homeowner. ICF walls are poured with j-bolts spaced along the top horizontal edges. My 2x10 and 2x12 pressure treated top plates are stacked down on the slab. They used them as walk-boards during the pour. Walls are 9" reward wall and some 11" reward wall. I have several...

Waterproofing and protecting exterior wood doors [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know if I can use Thompsons waterproofer/tinted wood protector on new wood doors? My home is cedar shake and I'd like a natural looking finish on the porch doors?. they will never get wet as they are protected by a 4' porch.:)

How can you attach a wood wall to concrete floor? [ 4 Answers ]

I need to build wood wall non bearing in a basement and attach the bottom plate to a concrete floor. What is the easiest and most secure method to do so. Should I use pressure treated wood for the bottom plate? Thanks.

View more questions Search