Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GretaH Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2010, 06:13 PM
    How do remove old fill valve with no plastic nut?
    I agree with Annie, what a great forum! I thought changing the fill valve would be easy breezy. There is no plastic connecting nut under the tank. It's all metal. The tube is metal as well. I've loosened the metal nut as far as I can so that the old fill valve wiggles. But I don't know how to remove the rest of the attachment in order to lift out the old valve. I'll include a few pictures once I locate the link for that. Any ideas? Thanks much!
    Greta

Jul 22, 2010, 06:18 PM
    Pictures from Greta
    Attached Images

Jul 22, 2010, 06:20 PM
    Slightly better shot of connection under tank
    Attached Images

creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 06:34 PM

The nut that touches tank on outside has to be removed.

Remove feeder tube and then remove large nut. Lift out ballcock from inside. Install new Flowmaster. Follow instructions.

If u are unable to remove large nut u can cut above it with a sawzall or hack saw. Then install flowmaster.

Chuck
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 06:41 PM

Hi Greta...

There are two nuts there.

Try to separate the nuts by holding the fill valve against yourself as you loosen nut #2 (see image). Then you should be able to hold the fill valve and finish loosening nut #1.

If that fails to work then you should hold the fill valve while using a hacksaw blade to cut the fill valve between the bottom of the toilet tank and that brass nut. This can take a few minutes but it cuts off clean... ;)

Any questions... let us know.

Mark
    Attached Images

Jul 22, 2010, 07:02 PM

Thank you so much. I know this probably seems so obvious to you, but it's definitely intimidating to me! Hoping to avoid the hacksaw, so I'll go try for leverage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing toilet fill valve - unable to remove [ 63 Answers ]

Hello, I am so glad to have found this most informative plumbing forum. I am attempting to replace the insides of our 23-year-old toilet. Our other 2 toilets have newer components, so I thought I'd tackle replacing this myself. I've seen multiple online videos on how to repair a toilet....

How to remove a nut from a cast iron pipe [ 3 Answers ]

I have a bath sink drain that tied into the cast iron vent pipe. The 1.5" lead pipe broke right at the point it tied into the vent pipe and it looks like a fitting that just screws into the vent pipe. I cannot get that loose. Any ideas on how to do that? Another option I was considering... can...

Compression valve sleeve & nut compatibility [ 12 Answers ]

Aloha All!. 1st Post... Great site... lotta useful info... I've planned on replacing my bath sink faucet, when I discovered that when shutting off the angle stops, they began to leak,not in all areas, but in only certain positions. Tried tightning the packing nut on several occasion with no +...

What's the trick attaching copper nut to plastic thread of wc inlet pipe? Thanks [ 2 Answers ]

What's the trick attaching copper nut to plastic thread of wc inlet pipe? Thanks

How to remove difficult fiberglass shower drain nut. [ 1 Answers ]

I am having quite a bit of difficulty removing the nut from the drain of my fiberglass shower drain. The shower is located on the second story. I can access the underneath from the floor below due to a drop ceiling. The nut refuses to budge. It is a tight space. Can't get a good handle on it. ...

View more questions Search