Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Dec 17, 2006, 12:22 PM
    water proofing in shower install?
    hi, I am installing a neo-angle shower. I have elected to build a false wall instead of going right to the joists (due to lath & plaster walls and that even those studs would not be straight). Then I shimmed everything and strapped with 2x4.

I put up some special drywall for showers I bought from home depot. It is not durock (cement board) but it is not regular dry wall sheetrock. It is light and was sold specifically for shower walls that are being tiled.

I bought some tiles that are stone material and some teflon sealer stuff they recommended (I will seal prior to installing, and then seal tiles again after install).

my questions,

1) should I be water proofing using?? On all the corners and where the walls are butted together?

2) what do I do with the wall & ceiling above the shower that will not be tiled, in terms of water proofing?

by the way, the drywall compound you see above the shower is from holes that I drilled so I could blow in insulation.

thanks for the help! Knucklez

Jan 1, 2007, 02:11 PM
    Anyone?
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 2, 2007, 12:58 PM
    I'm in the process of doing a similar project and strongly suggest that you visit the John Bridge forums for professional advice.

I can see a couple of things that you should do (have done). There should be a vapor barrier behind the backer board, such as a sheet of 6 mil poly. The backer board seams should be sealed with tape and thinset, similar to how you do sheetrock seams. This can be done in advance or at the time of tiling. You use a special fiberglass tape and thinset - this tends to make the wall a unit and provides extra stability if a tile joint falls over a seam. If you do it in advance, as I and most amateurs do, try not to leave a speed bump. You should use silicone sealant in the corner and at the base instead of grout.

Again, take a look at John Bridge.

Best of luck - Dennis

Jan 7, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Hi, thanks for the response.

I found john bridge's website the other day and agree it is ideal for this purpose. I have posted the full details of my shower project over there.

Fyi, I am using denshield backerboard which has its own built in vapour barrier so no need to add an extra.

I will be grouting all corners and seams, but in the critical areas will probably double it up with silicon as you suggested.

Best of luck with your shower!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

This is how NOT to install shower drain [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I recently purchased a shower from home depot. When I installed (no previous experience) according to instruction the drain leaked! I tightened, I re-did, I losened.. always leaked. Always leaked around the drain (the abs piping I did was OK, didn't leak, it was the outer shell...

Basement Shower Install [ 4 Answers ]

I have a basement with a rough-in for a 1/2 bath but would like to add a shower. If I use a preform shower can I elevate it so as to put in a trap? Do I even need a trap? If I do need a trap how much space is needed from drain to trap and trap to main line? Also can I utilize the drain pipe for...

Basement Shower Install [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm installing a bathroom in my basement. It was originally roughed in for a toilet and sink, of course, we want a shower as well. The shower will go close to where an existing floor drain was, so I dug up the floor and took out the old floor drain trap, y'd the line and put in a new...

New shower install [ 3 Answers ]

I want to install a shower in a room next to where there is an existing toilet and sink. My question is on venting the new shower. I have access to the basement area, can I hook up the shower drain to the existing sink drain in the basement area. Will this properly vent the new shower? The...

Best way to install fixed shower head and personal shower [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing a new shower setup. I want to install a fixed shower head as well as a hand held personal shower with hose. On the Kohler website they sell a diverter valve with some sort of backflow valve for this purpose. I have a friend who just had this done and he has no diverter valve just...

View more questions Search