Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Russll Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 07:31 PM
    Taxes on gifted property
    My two brothers and I were gifted my mother's home. She is still alive and living in a retirement center. We would like to sell the home, what taxes are we subject to?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 07:35 PM

You are subject to the federal gift tax and any local taxes that apply. The good news is there is a lifetime defferment before paying taxes on it but you need to file for it. Check the IRS website for instructions.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 09:05 AM

There are two things to be aware of: here:

1. Your mother will likely have to file a gift tax return, although she probably won't actually owe any taxes unless the house is valued at more than $1,039,000, and
    2. You and your brothers must report capital gains when you sell the property.

Gift tax is the responsibility of the giver of the gift, not the recipient(s). Your mother must file a gift tax form with the IRS, assuming the house is worth more than $39K. This is because the first $13K of gifts in a calendar year to any individual are exempt from gift tax and do not need to be reported, so since the house was gifted to three of you that means the first $39K can be gifted with no gift tax consquence for her. But the difference between the house's fair market value and $39K must be reported. There is a $1M lifetime exclusion on gifts, so as long as the house is worth less than $1,039,000 there are no taxes due at this time (although the form must still be filed). The amount of this gift also counts against the exclusion for estate taxes, so there may be consequences with respect to taxes your mother's estate will owe when she dies.

Your capital gain when you sell the property is the difference between the net proceeds you receive and your cost basis - you divide the gain by 3, and each of you report your third on your tax return. Since this is a gift your cost basis is equal to your mother's cost basis, which is her orignal purchase price plus costs of any capital improvements she has made over the years. Obviously she will have to tell you what those amounts are.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 09:12 AM
    You can expect the capital gains to be significant, as I expect that your mother purchaes the house some time prior to 1990.

It would have been better had she sold the house and qualified for the $250,000 capital gains exclusion allowed for the sale of a primary home, then given you the cash. Too late now, but it serves as a warning to our readers that you should talk to tax experts BEFORE making financial decisions, not after.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 10:01 AM

Since it is possible that this situation is yet unresolved. Would it still be possible to take a different route because it sounds like not everything is a done deal. What's the best option for the OP ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 22, 2010, 11:34 AM
    If the title has NOT yet been transferred from your mother to the children, then, yes, you can change course.

Contact a local tax professional to get face-to-face advice on this issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are property taxes paid in France deductible as property taxes in the you.S. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a secondary residence in France. Are the "taxes fonciéres" and "taxes d'habitation" deductible as real estate taxes on my U.S. return? According to IRS Tax Topic 503 (http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc503.html), deductible real estate taxes include foreign taxes on real property provided they...

Who pays back property taxes in inherited property [ 5 Answers ]

I inherited 51 acres in West Virginia from my father who has died in March of last year. It is being transferred to me on Friday. The 2008 property taxes have not been paid. The will is going through Probate Court in Georgia now. Should the estate of my father pay the back taxes as the will is...

Property owned by four people - one paying property taxes [ 7 Answers ]

There has been land in my family for one hundred years. About 19 years ago I was put on title with four other family members. The land is in Ontario Canada. Ten years ago the title was change to myself and three other family members as one died and was removed from title. The property taxes were...

Gifted property to an non-resident, what tax at time of sale? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a condo that I am thinking of gifting to my mother. I am a green card holder, my mother is a non-resident. What would happen if/when my mother chooses to sell the condo? Would she pay tax on the gains and would the gains be considered the full selling price as the condo was gifted to...

Property Taxes on Property sold for estate settlement. [ 1 Answers ]

We have sold property in Indiana that will be part of and estate settlement. The property sold for less than $100,000. The money from this property will be divided between the 6 children. What taxes will be owed for the sale of this property?

View more questions Search