Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amyporter Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 05:00 PM
    Question Help in Accounting!
    You have the opportunity to invest in a machine that will increase cash flows by $1,600 per year. The initial investment is $5,000. The machine is expected to have a useful life of three years and have a salvage vale of $1,000. Your desired rate of return is 16%. Calculate the NPV of the investment. Show Calculations.
    amyporter Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2010, 07:43 AM

I believe that the answer to my question above is as follows:

1600 X 2.245890 = 3,593.42
    (406.58)
    Just need a little reassurance on both
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Jul 22, 2010, 11:30 AM
    How 'bout a bit of partial reassurance, for now? You're on the mark with the PV of the 1,600 x 3, at 3,593.42.

However, the salvage value of the asset won't be realized until the end of the third year, not immediately. So you can't reduce the initial outlay (5K) by the full salvage value amount.

Instead, the NPV of the whole project, at 16%, will be the sum of three amounts...

The PV of the 3 cash flows of 1,600 (3,593.42, just as you've calc'd)
    The PV of the initial investment (neg. 5,000 as you know)
    The PV of the salvage value

Since the salvage value CF occurs at the end of year 3, it'll be

... or if you're using a table using PV / FV factors, it'll be 1,000 x 0.640658.

See whatcha get.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting question [ 1 Answers ]

A patent was acquired for 450,000 at the beginning of the current year. How do I journalize this?

Accounting Question [ 3 Answers ]

What type of account are these? Accumulated depreciation Long-term receivables Bond sinking fund Machinery Land Is long-term investments under the investment section on the balance sheet?

Accounting question [ 5 Answers ]

Two companies are considering the buying of new equipment costing $200 000. The Frugal Company's Balance Sheet shows Accumulated Depreciation on Machinery & Equipment of $300 000 and the Spendthrift Company's Balance Sheet shows Accumulated Depreciation on Machinery & Equipment of $100 000. From...

Accounting question [ 1 Answers ]

I do not understand why accounting information is important to a restaurant manager/owner when deciding who to hire for an entry-level position in the meat department.

Accounting Question [ 1 Answers ]

I have to make a classified balance sheet for my homework assignment. I can get the current assets to equal $3,415, which is the correct total, but I can't get the total liabilities and stockholders equity to equal that. I don't know if Im not adding something into that section or what. Here's...

View more questions Search