Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Runner822 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 10:28 AM
    A bad dental check-up
    I posted on here a while back about a mouth full of cavities. I have been going to the dentist regularly (every 3 months) brushing and flossing and this morning I went for my regular dental cleaning and x-rays. The hygenist cleaned my teeth and said everything looks much better then the dentist came in pressed on some of my fillings he did last year on my molars and on two of the fillings I had sharp shooting pain. I told him I felt pain and he said that is what he was afraid of (nothing else). Then on my front top teeth he said the fillings were turning brown. Any idea why fillings would turn brown? After he left the room the hygenist told me I need to schedule an appointment to have the two molar fillings removed (teeth 14 & 30) so then dentist can see if there is decay underneth the fillings. Is this a normal procedure?
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 02:34 PM
    Do the teeth that hurt bother you normally when you eat sweets or cold? What about when you chew?

The composite fillings do discolour but not so quickly. Are you drinking a lot of teas or dark beverages, red wine? What about foods, eating a lot of tomato products, blueberries etc?

If I remember the diet you sent me, I don't think you do any of that if I am remembering correctly but your diet may have changed.

Maybe you should get a second opinion in another office?

Aug 4, 2010, 02:57 PM

I wasn't experiencing sensitivity to sweets or cold until he pushed on the fillings ever since then sweets kind of bother me and cold hurts like heck. I have an appointment for a second opinion tomorrow to see what he says. NO I haven't changed my diet but I do notice the fillings discoloring all ready in my front teeth.
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2010, 04:28 PM

I'll be anxious to hear what the second opinion recommends.

Aug 23, 2010, 03:15 PM

I had my second opinion today this dentist says there is major decay around my fillings on tooth 14 and he recommends extraction of that tooth. He said tooth 30 has some root decay so he would like to perform a root canal on that tooth and then periodontal scalling that quadrent of my mouth. He also said I should get veneers on my front teeth. AHHH I just want to remove all my teeth. My question is what are veneers and how is the procedure performed.
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2010, 03:53 PM
    WOW! You sure aren't having much luck with your teeth!

Veneers are like false fingernails. The dentist will roughen the surface of the teeth, take an impression and then you will return in 10-14 days to have the veneers place. They are much less invasive than crowns as it is only one surface that is slightly reduced.

Aug 27, 2010, 01:38 PM

I had the root canal performed on tooth 30 today and it took this new dentist 4 hours which seems crazy. He said it was very hard to perform due to the amount of decay and he isn't sure if it was going to take so he gave me a temporary crown and I have an appointment in a month to see how the tooth is doing. He also said the hygenist who had been cleaning my teeth wasn't doing a very good job and I should really consider going to his hygenist at least once for a cleaning once all this work was finished. I don't know how I feel about that he seems very good but he looses focus I feel like the root canal took so long because he was poking around on my other teeth. Suggestions?
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2010, 05:49 PM
    4 hours for a root canal IS ridiculous! I sure hope he doesn't charge by the hour too!
    I'd hate to think what you've spent in the last year at the dentist.
    If it's been 3 months since your last dental cleaning, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have them cleaned again and maybe having someone else do them may just help matters. It certainly wasn't very professional of the dentist to actually tell you he didn't think the hygienist you've seen did a good job.
    sarasmom61809 Posts: 63, Reputation: 3

Aug 29, 2010, 07:42 AM

I would make sure that he's not trying to take you away from the other office. 4 hours is a long time, granted there are 4 canals-- but and hour a canal-- come on. I agree with flossie, that wasn't very professional. Veneers are more cosmetic. So you do them if you want them to look different. You still have to keep them clean like any other tooth in your mouth. Just a note for above posts, Sensitivity could be cause by a lot of things such as root exposure, damage to your enamel, decay--- also if you experience pain and sensitivity- it could also be your sinuses pushing on the nerves of your teeth (if you had a sinus infection- even the slightest)... Also, if you're experiencing more decay out of no where, make sure you don't have "xerostomia" Sometimes your saliva flow is compromised due to medications and such. What a lot of people do is suck on candies to get the saliva flowing, not realizing their mouth has become a sugar cave... Use sugar free and OTC saliva drops (biotine) Hope this helps-- If not, stick it in the back of your brain somewhere for future reference... :o)

Aug 29, 2010, 07:45 AM

"xerostomia"- dry mouth attacks your mouth badly-- Your tongue and saliva is a form of cleansing for your teeth and oral tissue... If its bone dry, everything just sticks everywhere... Not good--

Aug 29, 2010, 07:46 AM

Oh, and definitely stay on 3 month ma. It can't hurt-- K, I'm done lol

Sep 9, 2010, 02:30 PM

So far the root canal on tooth 30 doesn't hurt at all and the extraction on tooth 14 was painless. As for his hygenist cleaning my teeth I went a month ago to my dentist for a cleaning and that is when he found these new problems. Should I get another cleaning from this other dentists hygensit. Also I have the quandrent scaling scheduled for next week fun fun.
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2010, 02:49 PM
    If you are having quadrant scaling on all 4 quadrants then you don't need a cleaning by your dentists hygienist.

Sep 10, 2010, 11:48 AM

The quandrent scaling is just on one quadrent.

Sep 10, 2010, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Runner822 View Post
    The quandrent scaling is just on one quadrent.
    If your last cleaning was a month ago, I would get the one quad done and go back for a 3 month check up in two months. By doing this, it will be less likely for you to run into anymore pocketing and inflammation. It can only help you. By staying on a 3 month maintenance, the hygienist can remove debris on a regular basis and the dentist can catch any problems early making your treatment if any, less severe. Try to keep a good home care regimen by using an electric toothbrush (or a good soft manual brush), Dental floss at least once a day (at night before bed), a waterpik with an antiseptic rinse. :D I know its hard to get used to, but your mouth will feel a lot better and when you start to see the difference, it will make you do it even more. :D Hope this helps.

Oct 22, 2010, 03:39 PM

Went back to the dentist who performed the root canal on today on tooth 30 he said everything looks good on that tooth and put on a permant crown. He did say I should have monthly dental cleanings as I have a lot of plaque build up. Monthly seems to me like over kill.

Oct 22, 2010, 04:19 PM
    Comment on Runner822's post
    Glad to hear that everything went well. You're right, monthly cleanings sounds like an overkill. Especially for your wallet. I would agree to a 3 month maintenance regimen and kick it up a notch with your home care at home in your own bathroom.

Oct 22, 2010, 04:21 PM
    Comment on Runner822's post
    Did they ask about your medical history? Are you taking medications? Sometimes you can develop xerostomia if taking a lot of meds causing your mouth to become very dry and that could be the reason why you build up a lot of debris.

Nov 3, 2010, 03:47 PM

No I don't take meds. I didn't go to the dentist for 17+ years and just started going again. So I am sure that resulted in most of my problems

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cerec dental crowns (CAD/CAM prefabricated) good or bad? [ 1 Answers ]

My dentist (had for last 3 years) wants to replace one full porcelain crown and one gold onlay both on bicuspids. He wants to gingivectomies on both teeth which I guestion. My gums are in great shape (cleanings every 6 months and used to be a dental assistant and hygienist). I believe he...

A bad check or a good check [ 1 Answers ]

How can you tell if a check is bad or good?

Bad check [ 4 Answers ]

I wrote a bad check. I covered the check 2 days later with cash. 3 weeks later she cashed the check again. Is this leagal?

BAD CHECK IN MD UNDER $300 on a check older than 2 years old be prosecuted [ 1 Answers ]

There were some checks written in md on a closed account under $300 to a store, they were cleared in a bankruptcy, but never cleared through the store. The question Can criminal charges be filed in md on a check older than 2years old if they were written on a closed account Can criminal...

Dental work inexpensive at Dental Schools? [ 1 Answers ]

In the Raleigh-Cary area, do any of the Dental Schools offer inexpensive routine care for seniors on a tight budget? Thank you, Bob

View more questions Search