Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    allinone Posts: 76, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2010, 08:58 AM
    Rollover IRA and its benefits
    Is this a really good idea to rollover a 401K to rollover IRA?
    How does it work? I have a Roth IRA account. Do I have to open other IRA account for this? Is there a limit to transfer from 401 to IRA?
    When you rollover do you sell all the funds in the 401K and transfer only monetary equivalent? When is the better time to do it when the market up or down?

I'll accept any other suggestions.

Thank you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 09:40 AM

In general rolling an old 401(k) to an IRA after you've left the company can be a good idea for several reasons:

1. More options of how to invest
    2. You can find low cost IRA investment options at places like Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard etc that are likely to be more efficient (lower cost) than your company's 401(k).
    3. You can consolidate to the same institution where your other savings and/or IRA accounts are located, so less paperwork
    4. Less likely to lose track of it or to forget to update your current mailing address (we answer questions here all the time from people who have moved and forgotten where their old 401(k) plans are).
    5. IRAs have a couple of more exceptions for distributions made before you reach 59-1/2 that do not trigger the 10% early withdrawal penalty - specifically for first time home buyers and higher education expenses for yourself, spouse, or child.

The way to make a rollover is to work directly with the instiutution where you will be setting up the new IRA account - you do not need to contact your old employer, or the 401(k) plan administrator yourself. It will be a separate IRA account from your existing Roth, and will be set up specifically as a rollover IRA. Keep in mind that this is not a Roth, as all contributions have been pre-tax (hence when you make withdrawals down the road they will be taxable, just as from the 401(k)). You will roll the entire amount from the 401(k) into this new IRA. You will have to specify how you want the money invested in the new account. Your existing investments in the 401(k) are sold off and the cash transferred over to the new account, and then new investments are bought in the new account.

This is all very easy - virtually all financial institutions that offer IRAs have the necessary forms on line. About all you have to do is pick your new investment, send in the form, and attach a copy of your latest 401(k) statement. The IRA custodian handles all the rest of the paperwork. I personally have done this twice, and it's a breeze.

Don't try to market time this, unless you have a significant amount of an investment that can't be duplicated in the new IRA - company stock, for example. If your company stock value in the 401(k) is depressed, and you are confident that it will go up significantly in the next year or two, you may want to wait. But for investmets in mutual funds it really makes no sense to wait, since whatever funds you sell in the 401(k) can be immedately duplicated in the IRA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rollover of fixed annuity from IRA [ 2 Answers ]

I have been advised that I cannot roll over my fixed annuity upon maturity into a different type investment like a CD etc because the IRS doesn't allow it. That in doing so, I would be taxed on the entire interest amt. They do say I can transfer tax free at this point only to another annuity. I...

401k rollover in to IRA [ 1 Answers ]

I took a disbursement of my 401k in to a taxable savings account last year and rolled the money in to an IRA within 60 days. I did not work last year and so did not have any other form of income. Do I have to file with the IRS?

Retirement: Can I rollover my 401K into an IRA? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen, I have a 401K and I wish to retire overseas. I would like to know if I can rollover my 401K into a foreign IRA without having to pay any penalty? Thank you. Jeanette

IRA Rollover [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone here done an ira rollover of their retirement savings? It says in the article "IRA Rollover is you taking up responsibility of your retirement savings account for upto 60 days before reinvesting it into a new retirement plan" How did the process work? What broker did you deal with?...

View more questions Search