Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    plithos Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 06:48 AM
    1 PC & 1 Laptop & 1 ADSL Router
    Hi, I Just Bought A Laptop With A Wireless Card And I Want To Add It To My Network That I Already Own...
    I Have A Pc Wirelessly Connected To An Adsl Router..
    I Managed To Connect The Laptop To The Router, Pretty Easy But I Want To Make The 2 Pc To Be Connected Also... in Order To Exchange Files And Stuff...

From The Interface Of The Router I Can See The 2 Pcs But That's It...
    Any Help? I Suspect That A Step By Step Guide Would Be Perfect Cause I'm Not A Genius In Computers

Thank You Very Much...
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 17, 2006, 06:49 AM
    What OS are you using ? This would help to give instructions

IF you are using windows XP , you can follow the step by steps from Microsoft. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...p/homenet.mspx
    Just do the above process on both machines, while they are each running. You can create a Home network name, (whatever you want) And remember to turn on file and printer sharing. Whenever you finish on one machine and it asks if you want to make a disk, just check NO. Give that a try and post back if you have any trouble

Good Luck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2006, 07:22 AM
    The key is turning on File and Print Sharing, then setting a resource to be shared. Finally,you need to map the resource on the other PC.

Dec 17, 2006, 01:58 PM
    Ok I did everything Microsoft told me..
    The problem is this..
    I choose the wireless connection which I use to connect to the internet but in the nest step it asks me to define the medium that I'll use to connect to my home network and my options are Firewire and Bluetooth... none of them are the desired...

I already have a connection icon (in my network places) with ADSL Router...
    So as I understand it I have to make another one that will bo for the connection between the 2 pcs...
    Do I need to close the connection to the internet to connect to the other PC or is it possible via the router?

Tiring isn't it?
    Thanks again...

Dec 17, 2006, 04:21 PM
    No, no and no. Your router connects your PCs in a LAN. When a PC connects to the router and receives an IP address it is connected to the LAN. You only need that connection.

Again, what you need to do is turn on File and Print sharing and then share a resource and map to it. Have you done that?

Dec 18, 2006, 01:55 PM
    OK first of all as I told you berore and as it seems now I know not a thing about networking...

Secondly, I don't know how to do this...
    I checked trhe properties of the wirelless connection and uses the file printing items as also as Qos pocket scheduler and Client for Microsoft netw and Tcp/Ip thing...

Thirdly I have to say that after the last nights doings today my WD External disk My Book (connected in firewire) works but it's viewable...
    I thing sth happened in the process of trying to make a network that "changed" maybe the protocols of the 1394...

Like a puzzle I know... and tiring too
    I've run at least 2 times the home network wizard but...

Thanks again I appreciate it

Dec 18, 2006, 02:10 PM
    That's what the Help screens are for. Did you lookup File and Print Sharing? It will tell you how to turn it on and how to share a resource. If you lookup Mapping it will show you haw to map to a remote drive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 AMP Circuit with 15 AMP Receptical, is this OK, and in code? [ 5 Answers ]

This is sort of similar to the other thread, but my problem is the house I bought is wired with 12, all the breakers are 20AMP except for the 30AMP for the AC and Dryer. When me and my dad were changing the power recepticals, which were 15 amp, someone told us that we should have 20 recepticals, or...

Correction-GFI & AFI Breakers & Shared Neutrals [ 3 Answers ]

I need to submit a correction to some advice I had furnished in the past regarding Ground Fault and Arc Fault circuit breakers being used on shared neutrals. I had in mind the typical single pole 120 volt breakers that will not work if two breakers are used for two 120 volt circuits that share a...

Laptop, desktop,and router hookup [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought a dell laptop and a linksys router. I got the router installed on my laptop and it works fine. Problem is, now my desktop won't connect to the internet. I know I have something hooked up wrong. HELP!

Knock & Flow Stop at Hot Water only to Kit. Sink & D/W [ 3 Answers ]

At our kitchen sink we have a problem with the hot water flow. When the hot water is turned on full (a mixing faucet) either immediately or shortly after the water comes to a full stop simultaneously there is a knock. The water does not begin flowing until you turn off the water altogether. ...

View more questions Search