Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tea09 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 10:42 PM
    Hit and run
    I accidentally scrubbed a car at a shopping complex. I usually do not park close to other cars because I'm a fairly new driver and I'm a horrible parker, however today there was a heat advisory and it was scorching hot, so I wanted to get as close as possibe... then bam! This parking spot is right up front. The space was tight and as I was backing out I scrubbed the side of their car with the front of mine. I didn't know the owner and had no idea what store they might be in. the damage was not horrible... no denting just a scratch. My car is a dark color and thiers was white, a streak of my car's color is on thiers. I panicked and I forgot to leave a note. I don't know it there were any willing witnesses or anything but a lot of online blogs said I should confess to the crime at hand... my questions are...
    1.if I confess will I immediately be thrown in jail?
    2.how would I go about confessing?
    3.who would I confess to?
    4.if I do confess and the person reports the incident later could I ask that the issue be handled outside of court?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 04:34 AM

I don't think you have any options, tea, unless you got there license number you don't know them from a hole in the ground. How are you going to trace them to confess? You can go to the local police division and tell them your story. Maybe the other people reported it to the police, perhaps they didn't even notice the scratch and don't care.

This all hinges on how ethical you are.

Tick
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2010, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tea09 View Post
    i accidently scrubbed a car at a shopping complex. i usually do not park close to other cars because im a fairly new driver and im a horrible parker, however today there was a heat advisory and it was scorching hot, so i wanted to get as close as possibe...then bam! this parking spot is right up front. the space was tight and as i was backing out i scrubbed the side of thier car with the front of mine. i didn't know the owner and had no idea what store they might be in. the damage was not horrible...no denting just a scratch. my car is a dark color and thiers was white, a streak of my car's color is on thiers. i panicked and i forgot to leave a note. i don't know it there were any willing witnesses or anything but alot of online blogs said i should confess to the crime at hand... my questions are...
    1.if i confess will i immediately be thrown in jail?
    2.how would i go about confessing?
    3.who would i confess to?
    4.if i do confess and the person reports the incident later could i ask that the issue be handled outside of court?

I'm a liability investigator and have been for some time. This is a rather familiar scenario to me. Here are my suggestions based on schooling and experience - stop giving excuses. You didn't SCRUB a car. You HIT a car. You are defending yourself by using a word other than HIT, which is what it was. I drive a foreign car and what is not horrible damage to you is extensive to me - that's just how it is.

Go to the Police and file a Police Report - maybe the other party did the same. If anyone got your plate number the Police could call you before you contact them. I wouldn't let it go that far.

You fill out an accident report. You admit to hitting the car and you confess to leaving the scene. Will you be arrested? No. Will you be ticketed? Probably not UNLESS someone has turned your plate number in.

I have no idea what you mean by "handle out of Court." If you mean can you pay without turning it over to your insurance company, yes IF the other person hasn't reported it to his/her company and that company hasn't contacted yours.

I realize you have had second thoughts and now you want to do the right thing and that's good. I have told you how to do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hit and Run [ 4 Answers ]

My car was hit in my school's parking lot and they might be able to find out who did it. My passanger side mirror is broken but that's it. How much trouble can someone get into for that? Isn't that a hit and run.

Hit and run [ 4 Answers ]

I was just in an accident, the other guy ran stop sign and ran. His bumper fell and we got his license plate, but I don't have insurance. I called the police and made a report. I gave them a copy of my expired insurance. What's going to happen?

Movie about a hit and run. [ 1 Answers ]

I ask this question the other day but the answers weren't what I was looking for... I will give some more info... I remember the lady in it was someone like Michelle pfieffer... nicolekidman... someone like that about the mid 90'sera and the man that played the husband could have been Michael...

Hit and run [ 3 Answers ]

HI While my car was parked at a shopping centre it was bumped by another vehicle,the driver of the vehicle did not leave any details,I got cctv footage from a petrol station Nearby showing the incident,this vehicle stopped at petrol station before it bumped My vehicle,I can see vehicle leave...

Hit And Run [ 9 Answers ]

I was recently accused by neighbor of colliding with his car and crushing his door with my hitch on my bumper. Both cars were examined by the inscurance company but there was no damage to my vehicle nor any witnesses to the incident. The inscurance company has closed the file because of no physical...

View more questions Search