Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wgh11 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 08:58 PM
    Married, living in different states: dividing capital gain income
    My wife and I have been married for eight years and have always filed married/jointly (and lived in the same state - currently CA). In August 2010, I will move to CT to begin graduate school, but she will remain in CA to finish her own graduate school program. Thus, for our 2010 federal return we plan to file married/separately, with separate 2010 state returns (me: part year CA, part year CT; her: full year CA).

We don't own a house and have no children, but we have a joint bank account, joint (JTWROS) savings account, and a joint investment account (also JTWROS). We realized some capital gains prior to the end of July 2010 and we expect to realize some more (either losses or gains, not sure yet) between August and December 2010. CA is a community property state; CT is not.

My questions are:
    1. Do we need to have separate bank/savings/investment accounts, in order to file separately?

2. If the answer to #1 is No, then how do we determine how much capital gain income (or capital loss) is attributable to each of us for the August-December 2010 period? (Can we just divide by 2?)

3. I don't think my wife needs to file a CT non-resident return - for state taxes, she will only file a CA return. Is this correct?

Thank you very much!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 01:56 AM

You can file joint return for federal as well for the states.

For CT you are part year resident and will report income earned while in CT. Your spouse is nonresident and does not have any CT income.

For CA both of you are residents for 2010 and both will report worldwide incomes for the year. Then on CA tax return you will claim credit for taxes paid to CT.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 07:38 AM

wgh11 - I would offer a different solution. For 2010 you can file as a CA resident, and not worry about filing in CT (since you will be in CT less than 183 days) unless you have CT source income. If you do have CT source income in 2010, you file in CT as a non-resident for 2010. For 2011 you will be a CT resident (as you will be in CT more than 183 days) but you can file in CT as married filing separately, even though you file federal taxes as joint. See: DRS: Nonresidents with Connecticut Source Income

As for allocating capital gains when you have a joint account and file separately - -first consider who provided the funds for the investment. If one party provided the initial capital, then that person should report the gain. Or if you have records that show one supplied say 1/3 of the funds and the other 2/3, then you split the capital gains accordingly. But if it's impossible to track back to figure out who supplied the original investment funds, I would suggest that you split 50-50, and provide a worksheet that shows how you allocated the gains between CT and CA.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married living in two states [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My wife and I are getting married and for 2009 she will be living in South Dakota and I will be living in Minnesota. How do I handle this for the state income taxes in Minnesota? (South Dakota doesn't have income taxes). Can I file MFJ my wife being a non-resident of Minnesota or do I have...

Married Living Working in Different States [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, People have asked similar questions before. But every situation varies. For 2008, I lived and worked only in CA, while my spouse lived and worked only in MN. I heard that we can file federal tax return jointly and then separately for state tax returns. On the state tax forms however I found...

Married, but living in two states [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am married and as of last year both myself and my husband are residents in KY (we both had lived in WV for the past 27 years). I am applying to school in West Virginia and would like to avoid paying out of state tuition. Can I become a West Virginia resident (rent an apartment,...

Just married living in 2 states. [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I were married in 2006. In 2006 she worked and lived in NJ and I worked and lived in NY. I am very confused about filing our taxes jointly... Are we supposed to say that we were resident of NY and NJ, and how do we avoid getting taxed twice by both states... If anyone has any...

Married but living in different states [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I are married but are living and working in different states. Her in California and myself in Michigan. We own a home in Michigan where I live with our 15 year old son. She rents an apartment in California where she lives with our 16 year old daughter. How do we file our federal taxes...

View more questions Search