Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2010, 05:54 PM
    What kind of fresh water fish do you like?
    I am wanting to rearrange my tank, I have a 30 gallon tank with guppy's and platys. I was only using them to cycle my tank (Everyone kept asking why I had a tank with no fish so I threw some in :p) But now I am attached and am wondering what I can add? I recently added a 5 inch algea eater and he is boring :(, I am wanting something... different.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2010, 06:34 PM

It depends on what u want to spend.

I put feeder fish in mine at 20 for $1.00. They are gold fish. Very small. Out of the twenty I have 14 that survived and have grown to about 2'' long. This is in a 30 gallon tank.

Some of them are fancy tails. Some are molted. Most are plain.

An inexpensive way to have a tank and very colorful.

Chuck
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2010, 08:18 PM

Meh, I was looking for something more.. exiting. I have goldfish in my pond but I don't really like them.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 09:22 AM

If u partition the tank, u can put in siamese fighting fish.

The male is very colorful and aggressive to other siamese males.

There is a tank made for these fish. Females are not a problem and pretty drab in color.

Pick up a book at pet shop and check out the different species in it. Don't know what price range u are interested in.

Chuck
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2010, 11:58 AM

I have Mollies in my tank, you can get some really pretty ones.
    I'm quite partial to the sailfins, I have 2 of these ones:

One of these ones:

And one of these ones, but mine is 2 colors, the front half is black and the back half is bright orange:

And I can't forget this little guy to keep everything clean :D

Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 12:16 PM

My three bettas are in 10 gallon aquriums, I think they'd hate me if I put them in a small space. I am wanting something big... A centerpiece kind of thing. My platy was supposed to be it, but she popped out babies shortly after getting her so now there are a lot of them swimming around :p
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 02:48 PM

I love african cichlids. They have bright colors of all shades...

They'd take out you entire tank though... they're very aggressive. Trick them is to overstock the tank... :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 06:54 PM

I was wondering how many cichlids I could put in a 30 gallon? I want something interesting and they seem to fit the bill.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 07:42 PM

Probably 13.. like I said.. overpopulate the tank. If they cannot establish a territory they won't kill the others.. supposibly ;)
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 08:09 PM
    Haha I'll try it :p

I'll give plenty of hiding spots, I already went out and collected a few rocks :)

Now all I need are some plants...

Maybe you can help... Every time I look at a neat aquarium it has a grass kind of plant on the bottom.. do you know what kind of plant it is?
    Here's a picture

Name:  tank.jpg
Views: 3151
Size:  28.8 KB
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2010, 08:23 PM

Also, I know your not supposed to put a lot of fish in at once but... If I don't won't they have there territory before I put the next few in?
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    Also, I know your not supposed to put a lot of fish in at once but... If i don't won't they have there territory before I put the next few in?
    Load your tank faster and when you add the new fish.. move the decorations and plants around first before you dump the fish in.

You could probably 3 or 4 fish per week instead of every couple weeks. Cichlids are hardy fish. They can withstand just about anything.
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 07:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    Haha I'll try it :p

I'll give plenty of hiding spots, I already went out and collected a few rocks :)

Now all i need are some plants...

Maybe you can help... Everytime I look at a neat aquarium it has a grass kind of plant on the bottom.. do you know what kind of plant it is?
    Here's a picture

Name:  tank.jpg
Views: 3151
Size:  28.8 KB
    I think that's mondo grass... cichlids eat plants though. Get java fern. Its bitter and they won't eat it. They also like to dig.. so be prepared to replant ever day or so.

If you get cichlids, feed them they're daily treat of romane lettuce.. not iceberg. Romane has protein in it. The lettuce will help brighten colors and help you preserve your live plants a little bit. Take the leaf out after a couple of hours.

With rocks you find, soak them in bleach water for a day... then clean water for another day... then bake them out in the sun or oven for a couple of hours to help kill any fungus or disease on the rock... same goes for wood.
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 08:18 AM

All right, I found a breeder who has pretty cheap fish! I'm pretty exited :p they sell for about $30 in the petstore... She'll give me 13 for $25 :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 08:52 AM

Geez... what kind are they?
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2010, 12:23 PM

Um I am not to sure, she said something about Chocolate colored :p
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2010, 03:47 AM

Don't get such expensive fish right away. Cichlids are hardy, but if they decide to fight, your out $60 or more.

Brown fish don't sound to interesting anyway... african cichlid tanks can be just as colorful saltwater... you start with some kenyas. They come in lots of different colors and are somewhat more low key. If I were you, id add the expensive fish last... almost dead last.

Here is a site that has some african cichlids.. you can order if you want, but mainly the site will help you read up on the different fishes and how big they get... some of them get pretty big... African Cichlids for Sale: African Cichlid Fish Species - Tanganyika and Malawai
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2010, 04:06 AM

Around here it's pretty slim pickings for fish, if I want goldfish or guppies it's no problem but almost anything else is hard to
    Find unless I track down some sort of breeder. If I wanted to get "interesting" fish I'd have to drive 3 hours and I don't really want to do that for a fish :p that's why I was thinking Cichlids... I found a breeder and there available.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2010, 07:30 AM

Order off that website I posted the fish have a guaranteed live delivery or a full refund.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2010, 03:01 PM

Are you sure its legit?

I hear about so many scams I'm scared to order anything online :P

Also I don't think they deliever to Canada (If it helps that's where I live :P)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fresh Water Lakes in US [ 4 Answers ]

What are the only two fresh water lakes completely within the United States that are larger than Lake Okeechobee. And where are they located?

Fresh water Angelfish [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if my 47 gallon tall, 18 inch long fish tank was too small to house 3 pretty large Angelfish, 1 small Ram, and 1 baby shark with Red fins? HELP. If so what should I do? I don't want to go out and buy another fish tank.

Describe a fresh water or salt water life zone within or adjacent to the rain forest [ 2 Answers ]

Describe a fresh water or salt water life zone in the rain forest

View more questions Search