Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 05:17 PM
    Overseas gift for purchasing home
    Hello,
    I'm here with a G1 visa . My mother who is not US citizen and not a green card holder, is planning to send me some money from her country, Italy. The gift is going to be used as a down payment to buy an apt. Is there any procedure I should follow with the IRS (I pay taxes in my foreign country as I work for an International organization in the US), or my mother in Italy? What is the amount max she can send me in the US?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 02:01 AM

In the U.S. the receiver of the gift does not pay at gift tax.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 21, 2010, 01:03 PM
    There are NO tax consequences for this gift.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Overseas Money Transfer/Gift [ 50 Answers ]

I am employed in the US but not a US citizen. My mother, who is not a US citizen either and lives overseas, would like to gift me money by sending it as a wire transfer from her account overseas to mine in the US. Assuming the amount is between US $50K - $100K, what would be my IRS Tax...

Am I subject to gift tax for sending money to family relatives that live overseas [ 1 Answers ]

How much money can my wife, who is a permanent resident alien, and I, a U.S. citizen, send to my wife's sister who is a Chinese citizen without being subjected to the gift tax?

Tax on overseas financial gift? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm a Green Card Resident from the UK, married to a US Citizen since May of last year. My father who is also English and living in England, wants to send some money over that we can use as a deposit on buying a house. Where do we stand tax wise? And would he be liable for tax if the...

Overseas Cash Gift for Escrow? Tax implications? [ 3 Answers ]

If I (US citizen) am receiving a cash gift from a non US resident/citizen, the transfer is made in foreign bank account to my foreign bank account. Then I use that amount as downpayment on a house, sent directly from my foreign bank account to the escrow company. Is there any tax complications? ...

View more questions Search