Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DinahSwan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 02:56 PM
    Humming house
    Our new home that we built started humming after an AC adjustment. It is low ptched and intermittent and drives me crazy. My husband cannot hear it and like rattling autos, it won't hum when someone is here who can hear well. We moved in 10 months ago and this is new. I hear it at night when other ambient noise is low. It pulses on/off and at times it aggressively bumps on and off. We have a hot water circulation system, HVAC, in floor heat, security, TV, and solar hot water panels and about 4K of photo voltaic panels for electricity. We also have some high tension lines in view but they never caused a problem the first 10 months of occupancy. Any ideas?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2010, 03:42 PM

I would Turn all breakers off 1 by 1, maybe shut off water valves to determine the culprit.
    fireg529 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2013, 06:28 PM
    I too have experienced a low frequency hum throughout my house. It was driving me nuts. My wife couldn't hear it, only me. I traced it down to my vent stack pipes on my roof. I put a couple of 90 degree elbows on each vent to turn the outlet toward the roof. The low droning hum went away. I'm not saying that this will fix the problem that you are having but, you might give it a try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mysterious humming noise in the house [ 113 Answers ]

Hello, I hope you folks can help me. Recently, we have been hearing a loud, low frequency "hum" throughout our house. I have turned the main power off to determine whether it's electrical. It's not. The noise does sound like a "fog horn" going off several blasts at a time and the noise level...

Humming Noise in House [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been searching on Internet for some answers to the new "humming, pulsating sound that has begun to plague my house and cause me countless sleepless nights for the past three to four months. Like some of the other responders, I have turned all the power off to the house to see if that is...

Strange Humming in House [ 2 Answers ]

70stang - I have this same humming sound in my home. I hear it at night when I go to bed but I do not hear in the morning or during the day. I live in a rural location far away from any industrial or mechanical area. I have gone to different rooms and the sound is there. At first I thought it might...

Humming sound in house [ 3 Answers ]

I have reviewed the other questions in regards to the humming sound, but have not been able to apply them to my home situation. I live in a condo with 3 units (side by side), one floor. At about 3:00 am in the morning I hear this "humming" type of sound, and sometimes during the day a "light...

House Humming- Need Advice [ 2 Answers ]

I am having the same problem as others with a low frequency hum. I want to try your remedy with the toilet, but I am very unfamiliar with the different parts. Would you mind explaining it all to me in a way I could understand - someone who has never worked with toilet. Where is the ballcock and the...

View more questions Search