Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ladyJK56 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 02:16 PM
    Vent pipe leak and bad smell in room
    Hi , I noticed a bad smell in the back entry room, which is below the garage attic which has the vent pipe in the roof. The smell was in the air, not near any wall or floor or door. I suspected a leak in the vent pipe, and the plumber found a water mark in the ceiling of the back closet. He sealed the pipe underneath and above, and the smell seemed to go away a few days later. Do you think this was the cause of the smell, and if so , is there damage to the dry wall inside the walls and ceiling that will make the smell worse ? Or will it just dry up and not be noticeable?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 20, 2010, 05:11 PM

I would adopt a "wait and see" attitude" for now. I would allow the drywall to dry and then is the smell's still absent you've removed the stinky. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roof Leak near exhaust vent pipe [ 6 Answers ]

I apparently have a leak from the second floor roof. Roofer says it is the plastic boot which is about 8 years old and probably has a crack in it. The cost he quote to replace al 4 boots was about $900. That seems high to me. He said he would replace with an aluminum boot. Thanks.

Vent pipe leak [ 8 Answers ]

I have around 12 inches of snow on roof and in my basement noticed that there is some dripping (drop by drop) from the sides of a couple of black PVC pipes. I think these pipes are connected to the vent which I think is covered by snow. Checked my attic and there is no leak. Any idea were this...

Could I have a pipe leak under my living room floor? [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed that when I walk over a small area of my living room floor the carpet feels damp/cool. I thought it was maybe a water spill from my toddler, but it's been over 24 hours and in fact feels as though the damp/cool area is spreading a little. There is no squishiness in the carpet, nor...

Roof leak - dripping down vent pipe [ 1 Answers ]

This problem is very similar to some of the posted questions and answers that I have already read, but I just have to ask about my specific problem. This is a GREAT forum... thanx to all for their help. I have a 3 year old house with what I believe is quality workmanship and materials. It has a...

Ceiling and vent pipe leak [ 1 Answers ]

Damsel in Distress, Help! Leak #1: After 5 minutes of using upstairs shower, bedroom ceiling below starts to leak. Is this due to a broken pipe or a backup in the lateral? Note: toilet or sink do not backup. Leak #2: After 2 minutes of running shower full blast, cracked vent pipe located in...

View more questions Search